First Diving Suit for Northern New England Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He stated he did his OW in a drysuit

Still need undergarments with neoprene suits up here.

OP I would go trilam since your using it year round. Just adjust undergarments for time of year. Plus lighter and faster drying.
He did mention he prefers to go diving than skiing.
But 35F(~2C) is nearly freezing!

He did mention he prefers to go diving than skiing.
But 35F(~2C) is nearly freezing!

My coldest so far 31F so slightly below freezing. Didn't see it this year coldest was 36F. Us crazy NE folk do this.

My coldest so far 31F so slightly below freezing. Didn't see it this year coldest was 36F. Us crazy NE folk do this.
I won't call you crazy, it is the local conditions that determine everything and it is your own preference.

I lived and dove in New England for more than 20 years and tried everything, drysuit is the only way to go. You are warmer, more comfortable, dive longer, dive more often, season is much longer, depth isn't an issue from thermal point of view. Drysuit is the best value for the money that will make you go diving more and more. Anything else is a waste of time for less dive time and less diving in misery.

Should we put him into sticker shock with what our new DUIs cost? :D

OP, made in the US is important to me. I also clear imported shipments through US Customs on the job so I have no desire to deal with the BS of shipping from overseas (Seaskin in the UK). I paid $4100 for a made to measure DUI FLX Extreme this past fall. Add on $565 for an undies package that included a made to measure undersuit, plus stock size socks and vest. I’m a hard fit in regular clothes so made to measure was an absolute necessity. Fits wonderfully and dives great. If there are any issues, my suit would just have to go back to California.

Agree with you 100% !

Definitely drysuit. Some people on scuba board are...crazy. I’m in Okinawa right now. Ocean temp is 22 c (72f). I and many others are diving dry. Some people are diving in 5 mils. The difference between us is that is drysuit divers aren’t shivering after getting out of the water. Some people will say you can use neoprene to crazy low temps, but I don’t agree. I had a 7/8 mm semidry and could use it down to 15c, but below that it wasn’t fun. And moreover, drysuits are much more comfortable during the surface interval and after diving. I’m happy to take my gear off and not be wet.

If you have any money constraints, seaskin is the way to go. My neoprene suit costs 700 dollars. I probably should have got some pockets added, but as is I am super happy with it.

Well I guess that settles it...

Thank you all for your responses.

In for a penny in for a pound.

Formernuke hit the nail on the head. Given my location, it will be difficult to make progress without making local diving comfortable and accessible. If I only dive during annul trips to warm places, I will never improve or feel really comfortable. Plus there is subtle beauty in the local spots and wrecks to keep it interesting. I've been in for a penny, so...I'm in!

As I said, I will not be making this purchase online, but either used and/or through a LDS so the fit can be as good as possible. Given my situation, do you have any advice regarding:

Brands/Models/Types that are best avoided? Ones that would be particularly good for me?

I have read that it may not be a good idea for a beginner to buy used equipment. Does this apply as much to drysuits?

Based on your replies, I would prefer a suit that is made here in the US, for servicing reasons, but that might be out of my price range. Will a LDS or even a regional shop service foreign brands it does not carry?

Lastly, is this thread at the point where it should be transferred to the Exposure Suits sub-forum? I want to make sure I am doing this in the right place.

Thank you for your thoughts so far and I look forward refining them to the point where I have a general game plan when I take that trip to my local shop. Portsmouth should be seeing 60 degrees today. WooHoo! I'm getting motivated.

Well I guess that settles it...

Thank you all for your responses.

Formernuke hit the nail on the head. Given my location, it will be difficult to make progress without making local diving comfortable and accessible. If I only dive during annul trips to warm places, I will never improve or feel really comfortable. Plus there is subtle beauty in the local spots and wrecks to keep it interesting. I've been in for a penny, so...I'm in!

As I said, I will not be making this purchase online, but either used and/or through a LDS so the fit can be as good as possible. Given my situation, do you have any advice regarding:

Brands/Models/Types that are best avoided? Ones that would be particularly good for me?

I have read that it may not be a good idea for a beginner to buy used equipment. Does this apply as much to drysuits?

Based on your replies, I would prefer a suit that is made here in the US, for servicing reasons, but that might be out of my price range. Will a LDS or even a regional shop service foreign brands it does not carry?

Lastly, is this thread at the point where it should be transferred to the Exposure Suits sub-forum? I want to make sure I am doing this in the right place.

Thank you for your thoughts so far and I look forward refining them to the point where I have a general game plan when I take that trip to my local shop. Portsmouth should be seeing 60 degrees today. WooHoo! I'm getting motivated.

NOW YOU'VE OPENED PANDORA'S BOX.

My 2 cents look first at seals. Do you want user changeable? If yes there are 2 options the SI tech or zip. Zip is only DUI. In my case the SI tech wouldn't let me reach my valves so I had to go zip.

Next material, I was lucky enough to try a neoprene back in 2008, hated it. Others like neoprene.

Next options the ones I consider essential are pockets. Options can really increase the cost of the suit in some brands. My flx msrp was a little over 4700, but I did a lot of add on.

I'm not sure which brands the NH shops carry so can't help you there. You need to have a good one measure you and determine if your stock or MTM, if your MTM it will raise price.

A lot of this is personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom