First doubles dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to need a bigger vehicle to tow all my tanks now. lol

Nah! If you've got that many tanks, it's time to move on to the rebreather! :popcorn:

The rules are...never weigh your fully-rigged doubles rig ...

Oops... I just did that. I also had my 1st dive on new new set of doubled up HP 120's. A few days prior, I weighed all my gear I get in the water with, 177lbs.

That being said, I am sold and they are worth all the extra trouble.

I did my first dives using doubled HP100 tanks on Friday. I bought my setup through the LDS, and the owner did a great job in guessing where the bands should be placed for my height. On the first dive, my buddy and I descended down to 15' to a nice rocky ledge where I could practice. The LDS owner was concerned about me rollling, turning turtle, and not being able to correct. This definitely was not a problem. I started by rolling to my left and right, and I could feel the extra inertia of the tanks. I then did a full roll, and found that you have to be deliberate about turning all the way around. After a few tries, I was able to barrell roll without problems.

I did find that even though I had done ~80 dives on my backplate, the straps were too loose by about 1". On the surface interval I tightened them up, and dives 2 & 3 were very good, and I was still able to get out of the straps at the end of the dive. By the end of the 3rd dive I think I was at about 85% of my old buoyancy control. The head to foot trimming of the tanks was good- I'm very thankful for the experience down at the shop. I did notice on the second dive when I clipped a 40 cu ft pony on, that I then picked up a head down trim which was not a problem when I used to dive a single tank + pony.

All and all with doubles, my main concerns prior to diving them were being able to swim without turtling, and reaching my valves. I found both of these to be non issues. I was able to get through two full cycles of valve shutdowns, while maintaining buoyancy at 40'. The one thing I'd emphasize for people considering doubles is the amount of weight out of the water. With the backplate, two regs, two flashlights and full gas load, I'm guessing the weight is around 100lbs. With singles, I could sit on the ground, put on the tank/plate/wing, and then stand up. Now, I really have to have the tanks standing on the tailgate of the truck to be able to get them on. I have some boat dives scheduled in two weeks, so I'm hoping that I can manage them on the boat. So far, I'm thrilled to be diving doubles.

Well today was my first doubles dive too. It went pretty well considering I knew it wasn't going to be perfect. I tried diving lp 85s wet, with a ss bp. Didn't quite work so well. They wanted to turtle bad. I need to tighten my harness and I think this will help, but I still need an al bp at least. Learning experience and look forward to learning more and getting used to it.

Glad to hear that it went well for your first dive in doubles. Diving doubles at first you definitely want to get turtled. Heads down for me until I adjusted the bands and my BP/W straps as well.

Once you get the hang on things and everything adjusted, you'll feel weird in a single tank.

Getting a new vehicle is a rather large expense just to be able to carry an extra tank.:D

I bought my Ford Explorer for only $780.

40K miles latter and $1,300 in replacement parts over the course of 3 years didn't make it that bad of an expense.

I didn't buy it for diving, but it makes for a good bench to get ready for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom