First OOA...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm on the fence with some of the Dir details but the core, donating the long hose, is something that makes so much sense I think it should become industry standard.

Were you diving full DIR or only BP/W and hose?

Thalassamania:
I'm on the fence with some of the Dir details but the core, donating the long hose, is something that makes so much sense I think it should become industry standard.

Were you diving full DIR or only BP/W and hose?
DIR is a subset of general Hogartinan principles. DIR is a regimented set of gear configuration, planning principles, training guidelines, and philosophy. Hogarthian is that larger less regimented approach.

If you dive DIR you are definitely diving with a Hogarthian gear configuration.

If you dive Hogarthian you may not be diving with a DIR gear configuration.

I am not a DIR trained diver, but I have had buddies who are, and our gear configuration is pretty close to the same.

Mark Vlahos

edit: added "training guidelines"

Thank's for the clarification.

Mark Vlahos:
Erik, good work! I remember your posts shortly after you changed about the hard time you were being given for your configuration choice. You can now be secure in the knowldege that your choice was the right one for you.

Yeah, you remember right, everybody was asking :"Why ???" and made funny jokes about my configuration...

Almost 20 divers saw a "Live" demo yesterday and nobody said absolutely anything when we got back on board, nothing but compliments, expecially the DM who had, apparently, a very nice time using the my long hose...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

El Orans:
starwars.gif
Complete your journey to the Dark Side here:
ScubaBoard > Scuba Diving Central > Technical Diving Specialties > DIR.

I am seriously considering taking Fundies...

I do not know why but it seems inevitable...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Peter Guy:
NOTHING WILL FORCE ME TO THE DARK SIDE.
I recall a time when I said the same thing ...

Erik Il Rosso:
I am seriously considering taking Fundies...

I do not know why but it seems inevitable...
... and I also recall saying this about a year later.

Resistance is futile ... you WILL be assimilated ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I also have a long hose, my girlfriend loves it........she wants to practise OOA everytime we dive.

Peter Guy:
NOTHING about having a "longer" hose on the donated primary has to do with a BP/W! There is absolutely no reason not to have a longer hose for donating (and a lot of reasons why we should) the primary for those of us with BC's and Air Sources. And yes, it does make the OOA situations easier, much easier in my opinion, to handle.

NO -- NOTHING WILL FORCE ME TO THE DARK SIDE.

I agree Peter, it is not just for the folks on the dark side of the moon. I have a BC and an Air Source as well as an octo. If the forces of the Dark Side come calling you can always PM me and I'll help talk you through it...:D

Diver Dennis, don't get in the middle of this one! :) I'm making progress, albeit slowly . . .

Diver Dennis:
I agree Peter, it is not just for the folks on the dark side of the moon. I have a BC and an Air Source as well as an octo. If the forces of the Dark Side come calling you can always PM me and I'll help talk you through it...:D

Diver Dennis: I agree. Over the past 30+ years I have had several real OOA incidents. In every case the OOA diver went, panicked or calmly, for the primary reg. Having a longer primary hose makes a lot of sense. I like to dive solo most of the time. I do now carry a poseidon octo-no upside down-, a longer hose primary, and a SQ Air source. A long way from the early J valve no octo days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom