First OOA...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Diver Dennis, don't get in the middle of this one! :) I'm making progress, albeit slowly . . .

Peter, be careful of what she gives you to drink. :wink:

It does make a lot of sense mdb. It is not hard to configure and as you say, it's the one they go for. I had an LOA (low on air) incident this past year where I was checking gauges in a group and found a diver down to 50 lbs. I was a bit shocked because we were at 100'. I didn't have a long hose then and everything went well but during the ascent I was thinking that it sure would be nice to have a long hose.
I solo a lot too but I also dive with a group at times and it is just another good thing to have, just in case.

Several years ago after practicing a OOA with a friend I realized the stock hose stunk. I did not go all the way with a real long hose but one about 18" longer or so. Since I have a Air Source it has worked well in drills. Luckily I have never had a real OOA. Good job.

Charles

When I was initially getting OW certified (long before I ever heard of BP/W and long hose) we learned air sharing and buddy breathing.

The first thing that came into my mind was that the "short hose" was a PITA and "long hose" would have made it all so much easier.....

The second thing that came to my mind was that a jacket BC was too cluttered and I wanted something cleaner like a climbing harness....

Funny how it all works out.

The thing about a LONG hose vs. a longer hose is that you can stow it more effeciently. A longer hose is going to be all loopy while a LONG hose stows nicely. Something to consider :wink:

Rachel

I've been using a 5 footer, under the arm, over the neck and around into my mouth. My only beef is that the hose rubs and sticks to the back of my neck sometimes making it hard to turn my head to the right. I don't know exactly how to get around that issue. Any thoughts? PS: no 7 footer because I don't dive a canister light.

Bobby

I helped a diver with an OOA experience in Thailand last summer. I was then configured with a short hose and found it a bit dawnting and restrictive to move in tandem on the short hose with a sightly distressed diver. I have since switched to a long hose and have practiced OOA sitations and find it much easier and unrestricted. I can imagine this greater ease in air sharing having possitive phychological effects durring a real emergency.

One aspect that I find safer is the octo on a bungee. 3 weeks ago I witnessed a freeflowing octo inside a BC pocket. The divers were experienced but took a while to see the air escape. We think it was the pocket pressing the purge valve. If your octo freeflows on a bungee, it gets noticed.

I also find the long hose does not pull my reg from my mouth as much as a short hose does. It has to do with a physical property of elastic material (rubber hose). The longer they are the more flexible they are (see the long metal bars flexing on a construction site while you can't flex a thinner shorter nail).

Bobby_M:
I've been using a 5 footer, under the arm, over the neck and around into my mouth. My only beef is that the hose rubs and sticks to the back of my neck sometimes making it hard to turn my head to the right. I don't know exactly how to get around that issue. Any thoughts? PS: no 7 footer because I don't dive a canister light.

Bobby

A 7' hose routes nice and clean even without a can light. My first long hose was used with a poodle jacket and I had no issues. If you're wearing a BP/wing the extra hose tucks neatly under the waist belt.

I once borrowed a reg with a 5' hose, what a huge PITA. 7' is the correct tool for the job. YMMV, Good luck,
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom