First reg, need to buy two, rec diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So that would be me.

purchased Aqua Lung Tiatn Regs and Octo as well as Edge gauge with black face, I can read it extremely well even without glasses, was able to read it MUCH BETTER than all the other some much more expensive gauages.

long term goal, use what we purchased as backup and purchase atomic regs

I have the same: Aqualung Titan. They work perfectly fine down to 150 feet. Can you explain the rational behind your long term plan? I just don't get it. Thanks

@ akimbo. Can you explain what BPM and FSW mean, I am only used to in metrics :cheers:
  • 76 BPM @ 132 FSW: 5 out of 5
  • 37.5 BPM @ 132 FSW: 5 out of 5
  • 62.5 BPM @ 165 FSW: 5 out of 5
  • 62.5 BPM @ 198 FSW: 4 out of 5

I have the same: Aqualung Titan. They work perfectly fine down to 150 feet. Can you explain the rational behind your long term plan? I just don't get it. Thanks

Not sure I understand your question;

I think it makes sense to have backup regs,

I don't have brand loyalty, I got a great deal on the aqualung regs and like many on this board have stated as long as you buy a brand name reg its hard to get a "bad reg"

If you mean why Atomic?
why not?
great reputation, warranty and ratings.

Many recognize them as being the best equipment, I know many have strong opinions on this

I will say that I don't understand why some manufacturers have so many different versions,
for example atomic has about 5
scubapro 15
aqualung 14

Anyway, now I have a ton of guns and ammo I am going to sell to pay for my new addiction

Not sure I understand your question;

I think it makes sense to have backup regs,

This is what I do not understand. The need to have more than one first stage and 2 second stage and a gauge pressure.

For technical dive - in caves/wrecks penetration - it is a different story, but why would you need to have a full set as a back up. The - theoretically required - yearly revision costs around $ 100. Why would you want to buy another set and be bound to another revision?

The only thing that COULD go wrong between regular revisions are, broken O rings, broken monthpiece, sand in exhaust valves. Nothing that cannot be repared "on the spot ".

This is what I do not understand. The need to have more than one first stage and 2 second stage and a gauge pressure.

For technical dive - in caves/wrecks penetration - it is a different story, but why would you need to have a full set as a back up. The - theoretically required - yearly revision costs around $ 100. Why would you want to buy another set and be bound to another revision?

The only thing that COULD go wrong between regular revisions are, broken O rings, broken monthpiece, sand in exhaust valves. Nothing that cannot be repared "on the spot ".
Hmmm.... While I agree that most issues can be fixed on the spot easily, there is some use to having a spare set. @tbone1004 usually advises buying a doubles reg set, then you have a spare first stage should it be needed.

If there is an issue with the first stage, (problem with the seat, an IP creep etc) it is probably going to cost you at least one dive, maybe the day. The ability to swop out a first stage and get the original repaired when convenient is pretty big.

I usually have a stage set with me, so a first stage, a second stage, a 40" hose (can stand in for any hose in a pinch), an SPG and an inflator hose. This way everything is together in one place and can be used for a pony, bailout etc etc if needed.

I will say that I don't understand why some manufacturers have so many different versions,
for example atomic has about 5
scubapro 15
aqualung 14

Manufacturers will say it is choice but in reality it is higher profits. Sometime when you have the chance look at regulator schematics and see what is different between them. Usually not much to justify the price increase.

Respectfully, I think you are being a bit naive. If your regulator starts to free-flow there is no way you are going to disassemble, repair and reassemble it on a boat or on shore. Most people do not have the training, tools, or parts to do that. I always had two sets of regulators. If one stops working you can switch then out and dive. Also you do not need to have them rebuilt every year especially if they are not used.

Naïve, maybe. 50 years of diving for my wife and myself, added together. 1500 dives and never had a problem with any regulator that I could not solve on the spot. Since 10 years, most of our dives are made on a liveboard that can rent almost anything. So the need to bring an extra octopus, with the severe weight limitation that we have on most airplanes is very very close to zero.

This is just my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom