First reg, need to buy two, rec diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around 2005 when I was trying to reproduce the main diaphragm for the USD double hoses I knew that the improvements in materials would be key but since there were no actual specifications for them getting an accurate durometer reading from a 50 year old sample was near impossible so I had to guess. The first samples I had made showed no marked improvement in cracking effort over the originals. I knew something was amiss. I had the mold modified and samples were made with a thinner sidewall and the readings using those were a drastic improvement.....I should have left well enough alone but I convinced myself that if a little was good then a lot must be better and I had the sidewall made even thinner....And when I tried those I found that the cracking effort went back up. After a lot of midnight oil and trial and error I figured out that the material was so thin that there was too much stretch in the sidewall causing a lag before enough force was applied to the center disc on the lever. I proved it out a few other ways but needless to say it was an expensive experiment. Dome height, sidewall angle and durometer are a tricky business.
The Argonaut Kraken main diaphragm is actually a cross between the USD and the LaSpirotechnique designs.
could not agree more how much materials make the world of difference, and little details that at the start you would never guess will make such a difference.

Not a double hose guy, but have looked at your reg and very impressed. i get tempted to buy one, except I would have to make sure nobody knew who I was or get raked over the "how can you not dive your regs?" coals..LOL

Not a double hose guy, but have looked at your reg and very impressed. i get tempted to buy one, except I would have to make sure nobody knew who I was or get raked over the "how can you not dive your regs?" coals..LOL

I understand 100%.

Ever since I started experimenting with a single hose regulator to add to the Argonaut line I have been receiving anonymous packages with smashed up single hose 2nd stages and pieces of LP hoses in them......The threat is real

Maybe make the Argonaut hoses in Deep 6 Orange as a compromise?

A neighbor just gave me a copy of the August 2017 issue of Scuba Diving Magazine. Here's the summary of the Dive Lab tests on the Aqualung Calypso:
  • 76 BPM @ 132 FSW: 5 out of 5
  • 37.5 BPM @ 132 FSW: 5 out of 5
  • 62.5 BPM @ 165 FSW: 5 out of 5
  • 62.5 BPM @ 198 FSW: 4 out of 5
The Calypso has an unbalanced first and second stage, which will provide more warning at low cylinder pressures.
There is one advantage for new divers using regulators with unbalanced first and second stages (that still meet EU standards), besides being less expensive. High performance balanced regulators allow you to breathe a tank down to virtually empty with almost no warning. You will sense progressively increased breathing resistance on an unbalanced between 300 and 500 PSI. The difference can be 20-30 breaths allowing time to safely surface or find your buddy's octo versus 1-2 breaths.

This list price is $299 and, unlike earlier models, is available in DIN and Yoke.

So that would be me.

purchased Aqua Lung Tiatn Regs and Octo as well as Edge gauge with black face, I can read it extremely well even without glasses, was able to read it MUCH BETTER than all the other some much more expensive gauages.

Stayed at Christopher Columbus, great beach, large pool, immacualtey clean, most of the guests were divers.

Dove with divetech just up the road from Christopher Columbus, great bunch of guys, loved Grand Cayman, food was expensive as hell however everything was great.

Dove Lighthouse point, first dive was great, second surge came through and beat the hell out of all us. ( wasn't us, everyone ended up on the rocks bleeding like hell, scared the **** out of me, my son has no fear)

Next day we did the stingray city dive not snorkel(two different spots) 14 year old son LOVED IT

Next day was rainbow reef and then the Kittiwake,. Loved the kittiwake, I have a new addiction, wrecks
Planning next trip, not sure where still looking

GC is great, no one bothers you, people are wonderful, my son and I left our non diving wife on the beach everyday, IN GC you have no worries, very very safe.

DIve tech was great,

if you have someone in your group who cooks I would suggest going to their version of costco, no membership required and cooking in as the food was a bit of a shock.
Everything else was not an issue from a monetary standpoiny, Christopher Columbus was perfect for us, and about 200 yards off the beach they have a great reef however we started bumping into boat traffic and we didnt have a flag so I pulled us back and returned us to shore

we rented a car and they drive on the other side of the road, I had to keep saying to myself "drive on the left, drive on the left"

Thanks for all the help from scubaboard, we had a blast and most importantly I made great memories with my son'

oh yeah back to equipemnt, it performed fine

long term goal, use what we purchased as backup and purchase atomic regs

now looking for BC and working on Venice for Megs

Let me know if anyone has any experience with operatots in Venice

Back
Top Bottom