first set of doubles for apprentice cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver:
You think 85's are heavy???????

oh yeah... way heavy... i can't imagine hefting 130's around and having fun
doing it

also, i broke my L1 vertebrae and right shoulder in October, so i am not up
to full speed and i don't want to make things worse

How about O2 cleaning and VIS? Are you worried about getting your first fill since the tanks are empty or are Tech / Cave shops used to their customers putting their own tanks together?

BTW, congtrats!

Mark

they come with a vis already.

say, now that you mention it... how is the fact that the tanks have been
hydroed indicated? would i need to hydro new tanks?

Some shops require a VIS on empty tanks.

For Hydro, it should be stamped on the shoulder, date of manufacture.

Are you planning on PP filling them?

I'm putting together a set of doubles from some old tanks, thus my questions :)

Mark

You should see the hydro date and facility stamp on the shoulder of the tank. All new tanks come hydro'd (so far as I have ever known) from thedistributor.

Cave shops expect people to put their own gear together. In fact- I would be leery of a tech/ cave diver who DIDN'T do this and most other maintenance themselves (we tend to be a bit pickier than the av. diver).

Andy- I've been doing this so long 104's (130's) don't feel like anything to me. I have been known to walk into the dive shop carrying them while wearing 3.5" stiletto heels. I would recommend you start a good weight training problem, expecially with your history of back injury.

mweitz:
Are you planning on PP filling them?

no, not really. i am just intro cave, so probably not for a long while to come, if
at all.

i might end up having to pay for another VIS anyway... well... that won't
break me :wink:

chickdiver:
I have been known to walk into the dive shop carrying them while wearing 3.5" stiletto heels.
Wow! Now that would be a sight to see.
Out of curiosity, how do most of you carry your doubles. I carry mine everywhere on my back.

Jason

chickdiver:
Andy- I've been doing this so long 104's (130's) don't feel like
anything to me. I have been known to walk into the dive shop carrying them while
wearing 3.5" stiletto heels.

too cool :wink:

Jason B:
Wow! Now that would be a sight to see.
Out of curiosity, how do most of you carry your doubles. I carry mine everywhere on my back.

Jason

if there is a backplate attached I'll "wear" them. If not - like if Im throwing a bunch in the truck to take to the shop- I turn them on their sides and slip a forarm through the manifold- and cradle the other end with the other arm.

Since I already had a pair of PST HP-80s I am going to double them up as a first set. I know they are short and at 6', I am a little concerned that I will do a headplant on my first descent.

Sooner (if headplant ensues) or later I will want to go to some real tanks for a set of doubles. I am leary about the Worthingtons...not sure why. PST are hard to find and there a couple of threads here and on TDS about them being more susceptible to internal rust. Fabers seem to be a reasonable solution, but I prefer to avoid painted tanks.

Gotta decide whether I go with 100s, 120s, or 130s for boat diving. I think the only real answer is multiple sets.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom