First time calling a dive - even before suiting up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I'd planned a dive today. Shore dive just on the other side of town. Nothing advanced or spectacular, just to get wet, check out what kind of fish I'd see this time and try out a different way of attaching my camera to my bcd.

Problem was, when we got to the site the weather was on the windy side. I'd guess fresh to strong breeze (5 to 6 Beaufort). A quick look at the waves rolling in on the rocky, seaweed-filled shore quickly convinced us that getting both off and on shore would be... interesting. And not in the positive sense. So we quickly agreed that today was not the day, spent like half an hour chatting and got home.

I'm still a little pi$$ed off that I spent the better part of the afternoon packing my gear, loading it in the car and driving across town for no good reason, though. I guess I'm entitled to a beer to get over it.

So, I'd planned a dive today. Shore dive just on the other side of town. Nothing advanced or spectacular, just to get wet, check out what kind of fish I'd see this time and try out a different way of attaching my camera to my bcd.

Problem was, when we got to the site the weather was on the windy side. I'd guess fresh to strong breeze (5 to 6 Beaufort). A quick look at the waves rolling in on the rocky, seaweed-filled shore quickly convinced us that getting both off and on shore would be... interesting. And not in the positive sense. So we quickly agreed that today was not the day, spent like half an hour chatting and got home.

I'm still a little pi$$ed off that I spent the better part of the afternoon packing my gear, loading it in the car and driving across town for no good reason, though. I guess I'm entitled to a beer to get over it.

I've had plenty of those days myself. Sometimes the weather just doesn't seem to be cooperating and I'd rather just sit enjoying a drink than dealing with crappy conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happens ... but good on you for exercising the judgment to know when to say when.

I've called dives at times that I really, really wanted to do ... because an evaluation of either the site or myself made me decide that the potential risk wasn't worth it. This past Christmas I ended up driving over 200 miles and taking three ferry rides only to end up home without even pulling my gear out of the car. I stopped by three different sites along the way, and in each case the conditions were such that I decided it was just too risky to dive. After the third site (second contingency), I decided today just wasn't my day to get wet. So I went home and found something else to do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Welcome to the club.

After 35+ years on the NoCal coast, we check the Marine forecasts and offshore NOAA Buoy data and can usually predict the effect it has in many coves on the coast, but still can wind up cancelling the dive. Since we also free dive, it leaves another option as entry and exit without SCUBA gear is much easier and can still be done when the SCUBA option is gone.

Days when Neptune has seen fit to stifle our fun is why Pubs were invented.

Bob
--------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

Reactions: Eff
Imagine some of the divers trying to dive the Andrea Doria. Training for years, spending thousands of dollars, riding a boat 15 hours or more each way and having to call a dive due to weather or illness. You missed afternoon won't seem so bad.
good decision on your part. Know that there will be many more good days to dive, and maybe many more called dives as well.

The hardest thing to do is to call a dive!

I know for a fact that I am spoiled both by my location and my weather. I am 5 minutes from the warm S. Florida ocean and 5 hours from the N. Florida caves. it is easy for me to call a dive since most of the time I can just turn around and go back in a few hours, or the next day, or a couple of days, or next week (I assume You get my point by now). There is still the pressure to not disappoint your peers, even though we all say that it is ok and the rule is repeated many times amongst ourselves, ANYONE CAN THUMB A DIVE AT ANYTIME FOR ANY REASON.

I can only imagine that it takes much more courage to thumb a dive when the flight was 18 hours, or the boat ride was 6 hours, or the cost was huge, etc. etc. etc.

I still encourage any diver to thumb the dive when it is appropriate for THEM to do so, forget the money, time or others!!!

It's always the right thing to call a dive. It will still be there another time.

I've called one and had a buddy call one before we even got in the water.

One time a buddy and I were going night diving/lobstering. We had a LOT of gear. Weather was PERFECT according to the radar and winds. Drove 2 hours to the coast and geared up, thinking all was well. We walked out to the water to see huge breakers on shore and even 100yds out. We tried once to get in the water, but the waves picked us completely up and threw us back on the shore. After a second try. we said...screw it...packed all our now wet, sandy nasty gear back up and drove home. It was just too dangerous to attempt...and thinking..what if we DID get past the breakers... how would exit be when we were done? How would vis be with all the watering being stirred up?

SO it's good you called it. You can still do the "after dive" lunch/dinner and drinks! :D

Another dive was recently...drove multiple hours through heavy sheets of rain and wind to the site. Finally get there, and the weather cleared. My buddy says "I just don't think I should dive today, Something isn't right"... we all looked at each other...said "Ok...lets go eat!" and came back a couple weeks later. Sometimes you don't even need a reason if a buddy just isn't feeling it.

I've sat out on a dive or two while buddies dove before because I just wasn't feeling it.

Nothing wrong with that! :)

You did the right thing!

Good for you on calling the dive. It's better to be cautious (wise) and dive another way. I called a dive recently in Guanaja because I "was a bit dry" from the prior night's drinking. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom