First time diver with question about weird physical sensations after cert dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you're feeling better. Call DAN. I'm sure they'll take the call.

What you describe here sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. Perhaps you were only partially awake and your muscles were still paralyzed from REM sleep.

You beat me to it! That was my first thought after reading the OPs symptoms. Long story short, during the sleep cycle the body is paralyzed for a period of time. Most people never notice this since they are asleep when it happens, however there are documented cases of people becoming partially awake during sleep paralysis. These cases tend to exhibit a paranoid feeling of something or someone being in the room with you, as well as an overwhelming anxiety or fear...

I have personally not experienced this, nor has anyone I know (to my knowledge), although I extensively researched the phenomenon in anticipation of using it as a potential thesis for a graduate degree.

DAN will take anyone's call, any time.

I occasionally experience bouts of sleep paralysis. This usually occurs when I'm really fatigued, either physically from exertion, or mentally after pulling an all-nighter. Toddthecat's description is spot on regarding the sensation of paranoia. Its not something I'd like to do on a regular basis...

Scuba diving is a strenuous sport and puts unique pressures on the body.

It can exacerbate previous unknown health conditions.

It is always good to get a good physical to eliminate any health issues.

All -

Did some brief research and I flagged on a bunch of symptoms for sleep paralysis - physical exertion, stress, over-tiredness, sleeping on back, waking up short of breath.
Obviously diving yesterday probably helped me trigger on several of those symptoms and I was lying on my back when it initially happened. I tried to get back to sleep later in the night and I remember waking up short of breath as if someone was sitting on my chest.

My neighbor - who is an experienced diver and former NCAA swimmer - said the tingling in the arms/muscle area is not all that uncommon. He said given all the factors - over fatigue, stress, etc - plus the pressure from the dive causes the blood capillaries to constrict which would contribute and/or trigger something like this.

Basically the cure is a good nights sleep which is something that sleep paralysis can prevent due to anxiety associated - it turns into a self-perpetuating cycle where you are tired but are anxious about sleep which prevents you from getting sleep, etc.

Will see how things go this evening. If there is no change tomorrow I am going to Doctor for a quick follow-up.

Thanks for all the feedback and I will let you know what the outcome is.

Regards,

K73

Most people never notice this since they are asleep when it happens, however there are documented cases of people becoming partially awake during sleep paralysis.

I can report this. It's some freaky s**t.

DAN will take anyone's call, any time.

True. You don't need to be a member or pay for insurance.

Mike

You are doing the right thing by being aware of your body and asking questions to find out what is going on. Far too often, people ignore warning signs that if investigated could help them avoid serious health problems or at least head the off at pass.

Awareness of yourself, your buddy and your gear will go a long way toward you having a wonderful diving adventure for many many years to come.

You should get checked for sleep apnea, the stopped breathing, feeling of not getting enough air, and sleep paralysis, are things I suffer from also, and I have pretty bad apnea.

I can report this. It's some freaky s**t.

+1

Woke up "paralyzed" once and was convinced Satan was looming over my bed. Still freaks me out to think about it.

BTW, turns out it wasn't Satan after all. It was actually a red, heart-shaped mylar balloon my gf had given me for Valentine's Day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom