First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GYANNI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Today was the day, so I went to the LDS to buy my first wetsuit. I felt like a child going to the candy store with the pockets full of hard-earned quarters. And I even had my wife's approval. "Shop for what you need and make sure you buy it ONCE", which means, buy good stuff. Oh yeah!:monkeydan. I found a nice, professional and attentive lady at the shop. So I tried a Scubapro wetsuit 3mm everflex steamer that fit me perfectly. (Tonight I'll sleep into it. Eh eh).
$273 + taxes.
Ok, since I'm here and the lady is very helpful let's see if I can get other basic stuff.
Boots $45
Tusa fins x-pert zoom yellow $189.00
Tusa Mask splendive 2 $72.00
Mask scrub $3.00
Mask defog500 psi $ 7.00
and the bag! $46.25 (bag tilos mesh side zipper)
I even went "Ma'am, I'm buying quite a bit of stuff here, I mean, are your price competitive?" (I know, it's a stupid question, what kind of answer do I expect...)
"Oh yeah our prices are veeeeery good".
Ok, paid $635.25 plus taxes. :confused6 I'd better to be nice to my wife for a long while because I have to explain the extra purchases.
Here is the traumatic, for me, part.
I go back to my office, which is near the LDS.
"Let me check how good I did". I checked on the internet and I found out that I didn't do really good.
Tusa fins paid $189.00 plus taxes. At Leisurepro.com they cost $149 with free delivery.:dork2:
Tusa Mask splendive 2 paid $ 72.00 plus taxes. Leisurepro.com $36.95.:dork2:
Two items, already wasted, included taxes, around $80.00.
I didn't have the guts to check how much more I paid on the other stuff. Please don't tell me.
Well, I went back to the shop, this time less enthusiastic, to return fins and mask. This after two hours from the time of purchase. They offered store credit. I made a funny face. They gave me a full refund. I said thank you and apologized for the trouble. I kept the rest of the stuff.
First time i return something in 10+ years I live in the U.S..
Lesson number one. I'll do my homework, read more scubaboard.com more, go to the shop prepared.
Lesson number two. Try to win my enthusiasm and don't buy anything before you check other sources. If not, I'll be broke even before my first dive.
I still support my LDS because it's important to have a LDS nearby, I don't believe I was ripped-off; they simply cannot be competitive against an online store because of the higher overhead. I'm ready to pay a little extra for the time the salespeople take to explain and to make me try and answer to my questions. A little extra Not that much extra. :hmmm:Oh well, lesson learned, let's move on.
Sorry guys for the long post. Newbie pain...

hmmmmmmmmm as much as i can appreciate saving money (hell yes i can!).... when it comes to masks i find it hard to buy online as i find they fit differently for different faces and you really cant buy them online so when it comes to the mask, the extra youre paying for is the touch and feel effect i guess ($40 worth of touch and feel :wink: )

whats a mask scrub???

otherwise... lesson learnt and enjoy your purchases

edit: oh, and as far as the mrs goes; my hubbys system is to tell me it cost a few hundred less than what it actually cost and i dont find out till tax time (months later!)

That was an expensive lesson, good thing you brought the fin and mask back. It lessen the pain from $640 of pain to about 300. I would not check the price for the scubapro wetsuit online. It may bring up bad feelings, :wink:

I think you can buy the mask scrub on ebay for $1.50. I would barter down the price to match it. :wink:

You should at least keep the suit. It's got your body odor on it.

whats a mask scrub???
I'm guessing a product that helps to remove the film on brand new mask lenses... :confused:

(I scrubbed like a madwoman with toothpaste and breathed on the lenses until they stopped fogging like Scubakevdm taught me. :wink:)

remember ebay for things like fins...

I'm guessing a product that helps to remove the film on brand new mask lenses... :confused:

(I scrubbed like a madwoman with toothpaste and breathed on the lenses until they stopped fogging like Scubakevdm taught me. :wink:)

i was thinking toothpaste and then i thought not even the americans are that silly... are they :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom