First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paid $200 cash, balance on credit card. Got the trick?[/QUOTE]

Hey thats my trick! Shhh. You are not suppose to give away trade secrets.

That's why i didn't return everything. I know I have to pay the price for trying stuff like the mask and fins that later on I'll buy online. However, the mask defog is a good buy. I don't spit well. :)

So you try on the wetsuit, mask and fins, and then you ONLY return the mask and fins so you can buy them later on line. Great logic.

Now I buy my share of gear on-line. I research it on-line, I buy it on-line, and then if it doesn't fit/work, I exchange it on-line. What you did was just plain wrong.

I've never understood why some people do their consumer research *after* making their purchase.

So you try on the wetsuit, mask and fins, and then you ONLY return the mask and fins so you can buy them later on line. Great logic.

Now I buy my share of gear on-line. I research it on-line, I buy it on-line, and then if it doesn't fit/work, I exchange it on-line. What you did was just plain wrong.

Agreed. Pretty douchie in my book. You don't do your homework, buy, then don't like the price after you've gotten to try all the gear out, and then return it? Way to go. :shakehead:

lets remember OP did NOT return the big ticket items he bought, only the smaller items and he has come here to tells us so lets not beat him up so quickly......

afterall, we (the regulars) have bc v bpw, split or not and dir still to go through with him so plenty of time, so lets be a bit more welcoming for now :wink:

lets remember OP did NOT return the big ticket items he bought, only the smaller items and he has come here to tells us so lets not beat him up so quickly......

afterall, we (the regulars) have bc v bpw, split or not and dir still to go through with him so plenty of time, so lets be a bit more welcoming for now :wink:

Right, he returned exactly those items which required a fitting. Seriously, I have no respect for those that engage in such behavior. Totally, totally lame. You want a good price, do your homework and get yourself educated BEFORE you buy. And if you make use of someone's service, man up and pay a premium.

I probably buy 90% of my gear online, but for the few things I actually need/ed to try and thus made use of the shop for, I buy there.

Edit: Sorry, just because you're new doesn't mean one should ignore rude behavior.

im not disagreeing with you Rainer but OP is new, hes learning, hes excited and hes here saying boy was i silly, look what i did

now he is learning a bit about LDS v online etiquette

i hope not to scare him away from SB so quickly with some harsh responses - we didnt know everything before we started diving, im sure it took hundreds of posts before we knew it all :D

I always look at it this way . . . If I buy items that require a fit on line, I save a bunch of money -- IF they fit. If not, I've bought myself the aggravation of having to return them for a different size or a refund. And the annoyance of repackaging them and paying to ship them back. It's like gambling.

Because I find sending things back annoying, I tend to buy the things that require proper fit from a local shop, and pay the premium I know I will pay by buying them there, so that I don't have to jump through the hoops of ordering something and discovering, once it's here, that it isn't right.

I have never done the "try it 'til it fits, then buy it on line" thing. It doesn't seem ethical to me.

im not disagreeing with you Rainer but OP is new, hes learning, hes excited and hes here saying boy was i silly, look what i did

now he is learning a bit about LDS v online etiquette

i hope not to scare him away from SB so quickly with some harsh responses - we didnt know everything before we started diving, im sure it took a hundreds of posts before we knew it all :D

OP learned a lesson and is owning up to it. I teased him a bit about not looking up the price of the wetsuit. But there is no reason to be so harsh. If you believe in your LDS then by all means buy all your gear from them. It is your choice.

I have to disagree with Rainer also, if you buy something. And not uses it, you have every right to return it. We are all allow to make mistakes. I am married, my wife sometime goes to the dept. stores and by something on an impulse, then brings it back unused with the original. packaging the department store have no problem refunding the item.

But I do agree with allot on SB poster about LDS tend to be to elites, and they do tend to fleece the new divers. If they are worry about their profit, I think it would be better if they promoted the sport. And get new divers to stay in the sport. There is over 300 million people in the US. The pie is pretty big if you grow the sport. Some shops have adopted to the new market place and are doing well, like ST, LP, DS or couple of others. In the good old days scuba, it was to expensive for everyone to get into, that did not help the sport on bit. MTC

I have to disagree with Rainer also, if you buy something. And not uses it, you have every right to return it. We are all allow to make mistakes. I am married, my wife sometime goes to the dept. stores and by something on an impulse, then brings it back unused with the original. packaging the department store have no problem refunding the item.

Totally wrong analogy, but thanks for playing. Does your wife go to Nordstroms to get the perfect fit on a new dress, only to go home and buy it online b/c she likes that price better? That's lame. I hope your wife isn't that lame. Hopefully the OP realizes he was being lame and stops. Lame is lame.

Like TSandM, this just doesn't strike me as ethical behavior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom