First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, just a horrible analogy. And this isn't personal in the least. Look, Best Buy isn't going out of their way to sell you the product in most cases. But, if you spent a few hours at BB (or any shop) asking all kinds of questions and getting really good personal advice, only to turn around and go online to buy it to save some dough, ignoring all the time spent in the store, well, yeah, I do think that's really lame.

And I know of at least a few LDSs that WOULD most certainly refund a difference in price if you found it elsewhere for cheaper. I know just as many that will price match online if you simply ask. Those issues are orthogonal to what happened in this case.

I guess you are the luck one with good LDS. Most of the ones I have been to not just in NY, but pretty much all over the country are not like that. Some are changing but at a slow pace. The online shops are forcing them too.

Right, he returned exactly those items which required a fitting. Seriously, I have no respect for those that engage in such behavior. Totally, totally lame. You want a good price, do your homework and get yourself educated BEFORE you buy. And if you make use of someone's service, man up and pay a premium.

I agree in principle but you've really got your nuts twisted on this one for some reason. The item that cost the most and where fitting is most difficult - the wetsuit - was not returned. Nor were the boots. C'mon, fins are not like shoes where you have 20 different sizes in half increments. You got a few sizes like medium, large, and x-large which a decent online rep can determine from your shoe size. Masks don't even come in sizes.

And when you get right down to it we don't even know if he was fitted correctly. After all, if the shop will lie to him about their prices being competitive in order to make the sale, perhaps they might lie about an item fitting "just perfect" for the same reason?

I agree in principle but you've really got your nuts twisted on this one for some reason.

Probably just tired. In any case, for all we know, those prices are competitive for local stores. It is the NY market, correct? Seen rents lately? In any case, I'm off to bed before I get worked up any more. Night.

It's not fleecing. For you to think it unethical for a retailer to charge a price, in plain view of the customer, and then have the customer willingly pay that price is nuts. Do you seriously need someone to hold your hand when shopping? It's not like any of this is hidden info. And seriously, do some homework, of retail businesses, scuba has amongst the lowest mark ups. Do you feel fleeced buying clothes that cost 1/10 what you pay? Same for food? Your house? Really, your stance on the shop charging a reasonable amount (and those prices ARE reasonable, just higher than online--gasp, where you can't try things on!) just doesn't have any traction. Again, thanks for playing. Welcome to economics and free market society. If you want a nanny state, go elsewhere.

It is a free market, and the market has dictated return policy and price matching. Scuba is behind the power curve on this on in most of the places in the US. Scuba products is like every other consumer good, not let the market set the margins.

You are luck your lds have caught up. I does not make anyone a loser for using these policies and like it or not it was the internet that have brought about them.

I am ok paying 5-7 percent at a lds, but most of them are more like 30-40% more. To me it is silly.

I am ok paying 5-7 percent at a lds, but most of them are more like 30-40% more. To me it is silly.

Clearly you have NO clue how much you're "over"-paying for all the rest of the goods in your life. I mean, not even remotely. But that's cool. And with that, I'm off to bed.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I buy almost ALL of my gear online. But first, I (1) do my homework on price, and (2) don't take advantage of an LDS by using them to try things on at only to run online and buy. If I need to try something on, then I buy locally (and would expect to pay slightly more, as the LDS offers a service online simply can't and understand that should be worth something). I do, however, go in knowing the online cost, and can almost always therefore negotiate the price I want. This seems to work in most up-end retail businesses (e.g. houses, cars, jewelry, other sporting goods, etc). I don't get fleeced.

Lots of people buy stuff without doing research as they get enthusiastic about something new, doesn't mean they should be publicly condemned by some of the users here. You don't need to put down the OP for that especially as they realise their mistake and have come here to give a lesson learnt for other new divers to read. :shakehead:

I really doubt there is a single person here who has not been ripped off by somebody, whether they realise it or not. So give the OP a break!

Probably just tired. In any case, for all we know, those prices are competitive for local stores. It is the NY market, correct? Seen rents lately? In any case, I'm off to bed before I get worked up any more. Night.

Yes it is NYC market, and LP is the LDS I buy my gear at here. I have lived\ pretty all over the country, and have check out prices at LDS and most places are 30-50 percent higher. LP is base in Manhattan, but they have adopted to the new business environment. Their store price are as lower as there online prices, at time even lower. So it not about the rent. It is about understanding how the net is part of everyday life, and using it to their advantage. I am not a fan of the Net most of the times. But it has brought about change that would have taken forever.

Good nite

Clearly you have NO clue how much you're "over"-paying for all the rest of the goods in your life. I mean, not even remotely. But that's cool. And with that, I'm off to bed.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I buy almost ALL of my gear online. But first, I (1) do my homework on price, and (2) don't take advantage of an LDS by using them to try things on at only to run online and buy. If I need to try something on, then I buy locally (and would expect to pay slightly more, as the LDS offers a service online simply can't and understand that should be worth something). I do, however, go in knowing the online cost, and can almost always therefore negotiate the price I want. This seems to work in most up-end retail businesses (e.g. houses, cars, jewelry, other sporting goods, etc). I don't get fleeced.

I am the king of research price before I buy anything. For what OP paid, it almost paid for my last set of name brand scuba equipment, bc, reg, octo, travel bag, mesh bag, booties, snorkel and mask. NYC you can find everything and get a good price for it, except housing. And if you do not know what things really cost and where to find it for a reasonable price, you wont last long in NYC.

It was fun going *** to tat. but it is late. good nite again

I've never understood why some people do their consumer research *after* making their purchase.

Ready - Fire - Aim!

Edited by Bob

Back
Top Bottom