First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no interest in any dive shop, and I do not even try to make other people's ethical decisions for them. I make them for me, and I express my feelings.

Gyanni, I think you'll probably end up where most of us are . . . Deciding you want to buy a regulator, reading reviews of regs on line, looking up prices on regs at places like ScubaToys, and then going in to your LDS and telling them which regs you are interested in and what you can get them for elsewhere, and asking if they will match or nearly match the price. For things where fit isn't important, you can read about all the pertinent features (eg. regulator performance) and even check if durable items are readily available used (classified, e-bay). This is what I do, and what many of my friends do. But when I buy a new wetsuit, I trot down to the LDS and buy it, knowing I'll pay a premium. It's just how things go.
Yes, in these days I'm reading and learning a lot...wife getting little mad when my laptop is till turned on late at night on the bed. I love it, I'm hooked, what can I do.

I bought all my gear at the shop I took my lessons at in Florida. I then came home to Michigan and got on the internet to see how I did. The shop offered a price guarantee. As it turns out I did pretty good at the LDS. The guys and gals spent the time fitting me, I had a chance to try on a dozen BC's. I also got years of experience to help me along the way. Remember ladies and gents the LDS will not stay open very long just filling tanks. Where I live in Metro Detroit I have 5 yes 5 shops within a half hour of my house. I have been to 3 and I think I have found a home at one of them. I know they will be there to help when I have a question. Unless of course you have a compressor to fill your tanks I think its a good idea to spend some money at your LDS. Got my Nitrox class Monday. Now all we need is a little warmer water up here in the north, so I can go and buy my 7mm suit at the LDS.

I have the same experience. What my LDS stocks and sells is competitively priced. That is the reason why over half my gear is LDS bought and what they did not have Dive Rite, Oxycheq, etc. was purchased mainly from another dive shop's telephone sales and a few dive shop internet sales. Maybe all LDS's should have internet sales to boost their revenue.

Yes, in these days I'm reading and learning a lot...wife getting little mad when my laptop is till turned on late at night on the bed. I love it, I'm hooked, what can I do.

Slip over to Leisurepro.com and start studying prices. They are a good baseline and only occasionally get beaten on price.

Slip over to Leisurepro.com and start studying prices. They are a good baseline and only occasionally get beaten on price.
That's what keep me up so late! Leisurepro.com and all those shining goodies to buy, I cannot stop watching and dreaming. Then if I see something I jump over the forum to see if there are any reviews. (And my wife gets mad).

I took lessons at a local LDS and when shopping gear tried on and gave them a chance to make the sale. They said they'd match internet priceing and beat any local competitor. What they tried to to was quite different. They wanted to put together a package of their demo gear to match the prices I had researched. I took my research and went to another LDS they were willing to match the price with new gear. I happened to have been handed a coupon for 15% off gear purchases at that shop and they honored it and took the additional 15% off the quoted price. I made the purchase on the spot. I've also since bought a few other items at that shop but also use the shop I originally trained at for quick purchases and air fills and a third shop.
The third shop does offer discounts, has monthly specials and has a internet presence. I bought my diver computer from them because they matched a LP price and they are authorized to sell the product so I got a full warrantee. I've since taken AOW and a couple of specialties with them also. Do I make all my purchases locally? No way I don't have extra cash to throw away so LP, Scuba.com and Scubatoys get some of my business also. Yes I am cheap but I also spend a large sum on my hobby at have a large number of places to choose to patronize both local and online. I don't cut any of the businesses I patronize any slack. This isn't just where my hobby is concerned but in any other purchases I make.
That is just being a eduacated and researched consumer! Bottom line is all retail businesses face the same pressures today and the good one's survive. They are going to be local to somebody and other will patronize them using the net. The LDS that are whining are those that don't want to or haven't figured out how to compete and I have no simpathy for them.

There are some screwy things that go on with prices in the scuba world. There is MSRP, which you usually find on the shelf when you walk into a small shop. There is MAP, which is the minimum price dealers are supposed to advertise (dictated my the manufacturer). There is the market price at a unauthorized dealer (Leisure Pro is authorized for some brands, so you see MAP, but not for others). Finally, there is the real price which no one can talk about but you can get from a serious retailer on big items if you show you are ready to buy and they are interested in selling. From MAP at an authorized dealer, there are coupons, discounts, reward programs, shipping deals, etc....

This might help you sort out some of the things you are seeing.
» Blog Archive » The Same Price - Everywhere?
» Blog Archive » Over-Reaching MAP Price Policies

A lot of shops will 'match' prices, but MAP policies make it hard to find anything serious to match. The retailers who don't play along with industry wide ad price fixing are the ones who do divers a real service when it comes to price. IMHO, of course.

Rich

Yes the LDS charges alot. Everyone knows why and how they will down online stores.
I normally go to my LDS for smaller ticket things or to look around. Then i will try to see what they go for online.
The thing is though the LDS will likely take better care of you in the long run.
Liesure pro IMO yes is very cheap, but they get what they get and thats it I think. They cannot custom order. Their stuff is NOT covered by the warranty by the manufacturer. Aqua Lung's site even specifically says their stuff is grey market.
I think they just get a deal on closeout type stuff and can discount it a bit more.

I dunno my feelings about them are mixed. I didnt get all the answers I needed working with them, but got some great deals.

Certain things are ok to buy online...fins...boots....holders. Your major gear such as regs and BCDs can be purchased online but beware if you have to have warranty work done on them. One guy got a Christmas gift from his wife of BCD, reg, octo. and SPG. When he went to his LDS even though they are a retailer of the brand they could not touch it. A call to the company replied that for another $400+ dollars the warranty could be reinstated. So beware of the warranty and check before buy online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom