First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certain things are ok to buy online...fins...boots....holders. Your major gear such as regs and BCDs can be purchased online but beware if you have to have warranty work done on them. One guy got a Christmas gift from his wife of BCD, reg, octo. and SPG. When he went to his LDS even though they are a retailer of the brand they could not touch it. A call to the company replied that for another $400+ dollars the warranty could be reinstated. So beware of the warranty and check before buy online.

The vast majority of scuba gear sold online is sold from authorized dealers with full warranty and support. Outside of a few brands, you almost have to work hard to find something that isn't.

I'm curious. What brand of gear was this and what kind of warranty repairs were needed?

You'll find that TSandM has had that experience. And yes, you'll get that from a LDS. Scubatoys.com is a definite must-see. I just bought a light and computer from them that would have cost me $200 more from my LDS.:rofl3: Also, you can substitute toothpaste or baby oil for mask cleaner. I find that baby oil works better, and it leaves your mask with a really nice smell!!!!:D

Also, you can substitute toothpaste or baby oil for mask cleaner. I find that baby oil works better, and it leaves your mask with a really nice smell!!!!:D

Baby oil? To clean a mask? Instead of toothpaste? That's a first for me. I've used baby shampoo as a defog agent. But "baby oil" to clean a mask? Wow. Explain how that works please....

hahahha

Too funny.. If I were the OP I would of returned the whole lot just on principle..
Then would of ordered the whole lot off LP and saved a ton!

If any retailer throws something in my bag.. Mind you a $3 bottle of something and I dont get it free after spending $600 we have issues.

In the bike shop world, we would often throw in a free water bottle but make you pay for the bottle holder! haha ohh but you do get a discount! haha

Seriously.. LDS is just a scam. I feel no pity for them and will gladly waltz in, try stuff on then go online and purchase.. If you dont like it, I DONT CARE. Its my $ not yours. If you want to charge me $ to try something on, then lets see that business model last!

Adapt or close down. Simple.

Yes the LDS charges alot. Everyone knows why and how they will down online stores.
I normally go to my LDS for smaller ticket things or to look around. Then i will try to see what they go for online.
The thing is though the LDS will likely take better care of you in the long run.
Liesure pro IMO yes is very cheap, but they get what they get and thats it I think. They cannot custom order. Their stuff is NOT covered by the warranty by the manufacturer. Aqua Lung's site even specifically says their stuff is grey market.
I think they just get a deal on closeout type stuff and can discount it a bit more.

I dunno my feelings about them are mixed. I didnt get all the answers I needed working with them, but got some great deals.

Hmm.. We called LP.. said this is what we need.. They SIZED it perfectly for our 3 kids.. custom put together a kit for us (we did have to assemble it.. but who cant coat some treads in silicone and thread them into a reg? geesh..
BC, Wetsuit, boots.. the whole setup
for a fraction of what it costs anywhere else.. (complete Oceanic setup with Tusa console and computer)

Whoa!! Take it easy! I actually found that the best deal for the regs I bought that were actually certified, were from a dive shop in Oregon!

What do you mean for regs that are "actually certified"?

Back
Top Bottom