First time to 60 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you edit your 2nd post to a word like "duplicate", so it doesn't take up space in the thread?
Done. I always do that but didn't this time.

Why not? Not to be argumentative, but...

A slung pony is completely redundant, secure and very easy to deploy. It can even be handed off to another diver.

CESA is a scary skill for a new diver and involves DCS risk. Buddies can get separated. H-valves aren't true redundancy and shutting down one first stage is a non-trivial skill. Same for doubles - a bit more redundant but not complete like a pony. Sidemount is redundant but requires new skills, not something that a new diver necessarily wants to learn at this point just to provide a redundant gas supply. And sidemount / doubles are often concerns with new divers who are gas limited - there is a tendency to drift past NDLs.

This guy really saying that a pony is safer than manifolded doubles or sidemount?

Better tell all those tech divers they are doing it wrong...

This guy really saying that a pony is safer than manifolded doubles or sidemount?

Better tell all those tech divers they are doing it wrong...

Maybe go back and read the thread, if that's what you think that I was saying.

Hello,
This is my first post on here but I feel like I need to ask some questions. I have been diving for about 3 months now. I am NAUI certified in SD, and NITROX. I am working on my Advanced cert and only have 2 dives left to do. I am going out this Saturday morning to dive 2 wrecks in Lake Erie. It will be my first boat dive as well as my first "deep" dive. Its not that deep but it will be my first time down to 60 feet. Previously I have not exceeded 35. I feel fairly comfortable with my abilities, I have great equipment and I intend on taking a redundant air source. I am a little scared about going to 60 feet and just want to know if any of you have any advice or could give me tips to help me relax and stay safe. Thanks
So how did the deep dives go?
I may have missed an update did not read through all the post. When I did my deep dives in Maui 100' I did feel a little narc'd but no big deal though I had some anxiety before but when I got to depth it was no different feeling than 30' especially with 100+ viz. Hope it went well and the wrecks were awsome fo you.

I'm not a fan of pony bottles either, because I think they frequently are used as "feel good" devices that allow OW divers to either stray into solo diving or aggressive enough as to be pushing into technical diving situations, without actually training for these environments. Of course every pony bottle user in the water denies that he is doing that, but......

OW, recreational diving is based on the buddy system and immediate access to the surface. Technical diving is based on the presumption that problems need to be solved under water, possibly by yourself, and as such nobody would ever sanely dive in these conditions without full redundancy in any critical system.

A pony bottle doesn't really solve any problems in either of those environments. It's useless in the technical dives (you need full redundant tanks) and you should never need one in OW diving, IF you are diving safely with immediate access to the surface and a buddy. Of course, there is a grey area between OW and tech diving; like a swim through at 100 feet, or diving on a boat with a bunch of strangers who turn out to be unreliable buddies. Ponies seem to be suited to this kind of diving, and IMO they don't make it any safer. At least, I doubt there are any statistics that demonstrate additional safety. Hence, the 'feel good' label. They make divers feel safer.

But if someone really is concerned about diving safely, the answer is avoid unsafe OW diving or at least treat dives like that more as technical dives, which means advanced training. Lots of people won't like that opinion, but oh well.

I own a pony bottle, I have used it exactly once on a dive, and now it serves as a tire filler and regulator servicing aide. Maybe some very well trained traveling divers have legitimate use for one, where full technical gear (i.e doubles) is unavailable.

Back
Top Bottom