First Time Traveling!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

SO this Saturday my family and I are going to Hawaii for the first time! I am super excited because not only do I get to hang out in Hawaii for a few days but also do some diving! My dives are already scheduled. I am doing the Manta Ray Night Dive and the 3 tank advanced (both in Kona, Hawaii).

But this is my first time traveling and carry scuba gear. I would prefer to bring my own gear because that is what I feel the most comfortable in. What gear should I bring? MAsk, reg, BCD? I only have a carry-on to carry gear or else I would bring it all :).

Any advice regarding bringing gear and also other tips about traveling and diving? What to look out for once I get there? Tips and tricks?

Thanks everyone!

Nick

P.S. It's with Jack's Diving Locker.

I'd stuff everything I could into my carry on and wear the rest of my gear as I boarded the plane, lol.

Seriously, a BC is the biggest piece of gear and fins take up a surprising amount of room. In my case, I wear a prescription mask so it would be my first priority. Then I would want my own reg and computer. Next would be my wetsuit. Then boots. Then fins if they fit in the carryon.

Don't forget your logbook.

And think about wearing your BC onto the plane. I've never done it but I've heard others claim they did. Just sayin'.

For tips and tricks, I'd suggest you surf over to the Hawaii section of ScubaBoard.

Have fun!

Hire a private DM for the first day or two. Money well spent.

Carry all of the signalling devices you have, batteries out of lights. See TSA site for details on dos and don'ts.

Got DAN dive insurance or similar...??

And think about wearing your BC onto the plane. I've never done it but I've heard others claim they did. Just sayin'.

Recently watched a guy wear his back from Cozumel to avoid the overweight baggage charge. Nobody on the plane even really noticed....but that could could be from all the tequila. :wink:

I'd really like to see someone walk around in their fins, hahaha. Wait... with a speedo, mask, snorkel, and maybe a towell draped over their shoulder!! lmao!!

In all seriousness though, just jam all your stuff into your carryon. I travelled a few times with my gear in a duffel bag that I used for a carry on (a typical Reebok gym bag), and that was perfectly fine. I just got a nice new carryon, and with minimal effort, I can stuff all of my gear into it. I'm thinking of doing this for my next trip since it has wheels. If you have a backplate, I suggest putting it on top so it's easy to take out for security - I've had one issue before where TSA thought I was smuggling bombs. Have a great trip!!

Night diving with the mantas is spectacular, hope you have some kind of video device , you will definitely want to have something to bring back and watch. It is tough to get everything but anything beats a blank. When you get on the bottom set yourself well, the back wash from a manta can roll you over. Enjoy it will be great.

Wow I can't believe you guys carry on all your gear! You guys aren't the ones with gigantic carry-ons clogging up aisles and overheads are you??

I travel with all my gear, but split it between carryon and check. There's too much to carryon

Carry-on
Mask
Reg and all gauges
Computer
Sometimes fins
Camera / strobe / housing
A pair of trunks

Check
BCD
Wetsuits & booties
Fins (if not in carry-on)
Tools/knife
All other clothes

I did a shore dive with Jack's as my first post OW dive. Good shop. If your BC is a standard jacket, I'd recommend just renting one from the shop. I don't remember what they had (I took my BC) but they were all in good shape and standard configurations. If you dive a BP/W, pack it with you. Take your reg, take your mask and fins. I have one pair that fit inside a carry on bag of standard size and one pair that don't. YMMV with that. If I want to take my "long" fins, I just strap them to the outside of my carry-on. If you have a computer, bring that too.

You're going to really enjoy the manta dive. It's phenomenal. I went ahead and bought the optional DVD because my camera died right before my dives started. Totally worth the extra money, in my opinion. The dive isn't much of a dive (you just sit on the bottom) but it's a fantastic experience. I would recommend doing the two-tank manta dive though because you dive the same basic area in the morning and see some other nice sights. I dove with Kona Honu for the Manta dive, though, so Jack's may be slightly different.

Enjoy it. The island is great and the diving is really nice. Look for the spinner dolphins too, they're fairly playful sometimes.

EDIT: I have taken my gear in a carry-on but generally just check my bags. But I usually don't have to pay for checked bags, either.

Last edited:
Hey, I finally thought of a tip: buy a bag big enough to hold your gear and check it. :D

Like jmasin, I carry too much stuff to pack it all in a single carry on.

Carry On: prescription dive mask in Pelican case, logbook, regulator/computer, Portable SoundDock, iPad, camera.

Checked bag: fins, boots, wetsuit, BC, snorkel (why do I bother?), backup prescription dive mask, knife, clothes.

The checked bag is plenty big enough to hold the above and has a handle and wheels so it's easy to transport. I keep the smaller but more expensive stuff with me in the carry on. Obviously, it would suck if my checked bag were lost but I could get buy on rented gear if it came to that.

DandyDon's tip regarding dive insurance is spot on.

Please be sure to be cognizant of not DRIVING to altitude after diving. In Hawaii many people who wouldn't dream of FLYING after diving don't think twice about taking a CAR to >10k ft in the afternoon following a morning of repetitive dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom