First Trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbeeler

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to Bonaire next month and will be at Buddy Dive. This is my first time there so I have no feel for the cost of food etc. there, and need to have an idea how much cash to bring for a week.

No need to rehash all of the theft threads.

Thanks...

Jim

I am also going soon and we are trying to decide how much to bring. I am by no means an expert and am trying to get a good feel for this myself. But, based on my first trip and my research for an upcoming trip the break down seems to be: At the resort most things can be charged to cc (diving, rental truck, tshirts, drinks and food). I think most of the larger restaurants and grocery stores also take cc. I guess cash would be more for small restaurants, food trucks, and local vendors. It seems there are some ATMs on island if you need more cash later in the week. You also need some cash for an departure tax from the island ($35 USD per person). It seems to be that the groceries and restaurants are about 150% more expensive than in Denver, CO, maybe some people will disagree with me on that, but I that's my mental impression of general costs. Only you can know how much you want to eat in/out and what types of places you are looking for, but I hope that helps. Definitely interested in hearing the more experienced crowds opinions on this and if there are other cash only things I am forgetting about.

Last edited:
Buddy Dive has a breakfast buffet likely included with your package.

A number of credit cards will stick you with an international transaction rate, and I get stiffed for three percent.

For supper, I'd guess around $18 - 20 for 'catch of the day' (probably wahoo or mahi-mahi, vegetables, sauce), some more for an appetizer, and be mindful if you get a soda drink refills are likely to not be free. I get my soda at the supermarket and order water at restaurants.

Are PB&J sandwiches your idea of lunch, or are you an eat out for lunch kind of guy?

Call & let your debit or credit card company know when & where you'll be. Not fun to get declined in line at the grocery store.

Filling your gas tank in the rental truck at the end of the week can run close to $80, last time I was there.

Richard.

We didn't get charged the departure tax on Saturday.

Spent about $400 for groceries, meals, etc. last week. Filling the truck was $50.

I also spent money on an east coast guided dive afternoon/evening. Well worth it IMO.

Thanks all... that kinda give's me an idea. I just didn't know whether to take $100 or what. I'm with some others so I'll probably "go with the flow" for meals. I'm not a big foodie so I'm usually pretty cheap when eating out.

The part I hate is the "Foreign Transaction fee" that I get hit with when using my CC overseas so I try to use cash whenever possible. I guess I need to get a foreign transaction fee free card but haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks again for the info.

Jim

I really don't think there's too much to the theft thing...----UNLESS---things have changed dramatically in the last 8 months or so.....We were there last Aug/Sept, a group of 30+(just asked wife & she thought we had 19 vehicles among us) & no one had any problems with that.....Also, heard of no one complaining 'bout that @ the resort while we were there(ie Buddy's).....But, maybe times have-a changed..:)

Learning new things all the time, I guess after Oct. 2010 the departure tax shows up as Bonaire Passenger Facility Charge and you are charged it with your ticket, so no need for that $70 USD unless you are flying DAE.

I am so bad but to me the transaction fee for me is not enough to deal with getting/carrying all that cash or heading to the ATM more than necessary

vwguy has a card with no foreign transaction fees, must be nice....

To my knowledge I've never had a "foreign transaction fee" with any of my credit cards. Who does this?

The only thing I know of that you have to have cash for is the Marine Park fee.

It shows up in my bank account as a separate fee a few days later on each transaction. Bank debit card, a VISA. I'm not the only one who's reported this.

I just checked. My Discover card advertises no foreign transaction fee and my Visa doesn't show any on the bill from my last visit. Plus you got to love that cash back bonus award!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom