First Trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To my knowledge I've never had a "foreign transaction fee" with any of my credit cards. Who does this?

The only thing I know of that you have to have cash for is the Marine Park fee.

Perhaps you've got a "No Foreign Transaction Fee" Card... I know this bit me in the but a few years ago when charging lodging at a rather pricey hotel in Paris... Seems to me it was between $100 and $200 Foreign Transaction Fee for the Hotel bill (Paris is a VERY pricey city).

I realize spending money in Bonaire is probably small potatoes in comparison, but after that bit me in the butt, I've never forgotten and like to avoid it all all costs.

Jim

If you fly with United often (which is one of the few airlines that flies to Bonaire), consider the United MileagePlus Visa. We got it last year and it's been of great benefit to us. Definitely saves in baggage fees, especially when having to each take a separate bag for dive equipment. It also has no foreign transaction fees.

And there is the Delta Skymiles American Express Card. No foreign transaction fees, first bag free for family of four, and priority boarding. But there is a yearly fee after the first year.

As far as I am aware, and we have been going to Bonaire for over 13 years, now that all transactions are in US currency there is no "foreign exchange fee". When they will used the NA dollar there was. This makes it much easier. Most, if not all stores, restaurants, etc. are more than happy to split the bills also. We travel with another couple and when we buy groceries, we have them charge 1/2 to each credit card. We leave next Friday, 5/23 - can't wait!

Thanks all... that kinda give's me an idea. I just didn't know whether to take $100 or what. I'm with some others so I'll probably "go with the flow" for meals. I'm not a big foodie so I'm usually pretty cheap when eating out.

The part I hate is the "Foreign Transaction fee" that I get hit with when using my CC overseas so I try to use cash whenever possible. I guess I need to get a foreign transaction fee free card but haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks again for the info.

Jim

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 09:24 AM ----------

We have not had to pay a departure tax for several years. We fly Insel and our friends fly United. You have to pay cash for your Marine Park tag, but for the most part all stores and restaurants take CC and as it is in US dollars now (has been for several years) there should not be a foreign transaction fee. If you eat at say Cactus Blue Food Truck, you may need to pay cash.

I am also going soon and we are trying to decide how much to bring. I am by no means an expert and am trying to get a good feel for this myself. But, based on my first trip and my research for an upcoming trip the break down seems to be: At the resort most things can be charged to cc (diving, rental truck, tshirts, drinks and food). I think most of the larger restaurants and grocery stores also take cc. I guess cash would be more for small restaurants, food trucks, and local vendors. It seems there are some ATMs on island if you need more cash later in the week. You also need some cash for an departure tax from the island ($35 USD per person). It seems to be that the groceries and restaurants are about 150% more expensive than in Denver, CO, maybe some people will disagree with me on that, but I that's my mental impression of general costs. Only you can know how much you want to eat in/out and what types of places you are looking for, but I hope that helps. Definitely interested in hearing the more experienced crowds opinions on this and if there are other cash only things I am forgetting about.

I have a capital one card for travel. No foreign transaction fees and a favorable exchange rate.

That being said - as was mentioned earlier in this thread Bonaire switched to the US Dollar as their currency so it's doubtful you would have fees there "now" anyhow.

Bonaire changed from the Antillean Guilder to the US $ on 01-01-2011. So that's the official currency now which als comes out of the ATM machines.
Enjoy your stay!

As far as I am aware, and we have been going to Bonaire for over 13 years, now that all transactions are in US currency there is no "foreign exchange fee". When they will used the NA dollar there was. This makes it much easier. Most, if not all stores, restaurants, etc. are more than happy to split the bills also. We travel with another couple and when we buy groceries, we have them charge 1/2 to each credit card. We leave next Friday, 5/23 - can't wait!

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 09:24 AM ----------

We have not had to pay a departure tax for several years. We fly Insel and our friends fly United. You have to pay cash for your Marine Park tag, but for the most part all stores and restaurants take CC and as it is in US dollars now (has been for several years) there should not be a foreign transaction fee. If you eat at say Cactus Blue Food Truck, you may need to pay cash.

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing... Works for me. I'm just anal about preparation and want to have as much knowledge about the unknown place I'm going as possible. I knew everything was in US dollars but wasn't assuming that because it's US dollars doesn't mean they won't stick you with another fee.

Thanks Gail, I'll be there the first week in June.

Jim

I always budget for my DH and I approximately $50.00 per person per day for meals. Most days, we never spend that much, however on occasion, we spend more. For Bonaire, our breakfast is included at the place we stay (Gooodive Resort). Lunches are usually sandwiches, leftovers or whatever budget/low cost take out we can find. ie: burgers, satay, pizza, Subway. Dinner-we often cook our meal back at the resort, which for some is not what they want to do on vacation, however for me, I actually prefer to do this as I find staying in and throwing a quick meal together less complicated than going out. If not preparing a meal, we usually pick up a Pasa Bon Pizza and make a salad or often an entree from the trailer down by the Stadium. Once in awhile we go out to one of the restaurants for a special night out. As you see, our budget is not high dollar on food.

For cash, we take approximately &500.00 USD to start. Then, as needed, we go to the ATM at the bank located near the north traffic circle . (Near Buddy's). There is a small fee, however we feel better not traveling with a lot of cash. This last trip in February, we visited the ATM once during our two week stay and even came back with some.

We do not use Credit Cards when traveling, however do have one for emergency use. International fees are waived.

Also, the departure fee when arriving from the US (I do not know otherwise for non-US flights) are now built into the airfare.

You need to check with your cc carrier. Regardless of using the us dollar it is still a foreign country and you will be charged the fee IF your carrier does that. My credit union visa charges 1$. My delta amex used to charge 3%, but recently dropped it entirely. My united visa has no international fee. ymmv

Thanks everyone for the good info... I'll probably take a modest amount and then wing it.

Gee... I feel like I'm back in my 20's where I thought nothing of taking off across the US on an old beat up motorcycle with $20 in my pocket, and a sleeping bag... kinda liberating....

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom