First Trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading to Aruba and Bonaire in mid June and will be at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn for about 9 days. I'm not sure how much cash I'll bring (I am a certified starving divebum afterall). When I was in the Bahamas 16 months ago I encountered "foreign transaction fees" on my AT&T Universal MasterCard. After that trip, I changed to another MasterCard in part because it does not charge such fees (and also offers rewards).

Still not sure how much cash I'll bring as my diving and hotels are on the credit card. Will need cash for departure fees, taxis and food though.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 09:29 AM ----------

Since Bonaire dropped their own currency and adopted the US$ I find cash is quite popular there :wink:

Such a shame.... I was looking forward to bills with beautiful Dutch women on them!

I'm heading to Aruba and Bonaire in mid June and will be at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn for about 9 days. I'm not sure how much cash I'll bring (I am a certified starving divebum afterall). When I was in the Bahamas 16 months ago I encountered "foreign transaction fees" on my AT&T Universal MasterCard. After that trip, I changed to another MasterCard in part because it does not charge such fees (and also offers rewards).

Still not sure how much cash I'll bring as my diving and hotels are on the credit card. Will need cash for departure fees, taxis and food though.

Such a shame.... I was looking forward to bills with beautiful Dutch women on them!

So envious! Bruce runs a good op, great location, blooming gardens (as you will see, a rarity on Bonaire) have always wanted to stay there. Valuable resource for gear issues and fixes. There are plenty of gorgeous Dutch, Caribean and Dutch-Caribean women there, no worries.

Plenty of less expensive options for dining - food trucks, Chinese, take away, Subway, KFC, Mi Banana, Wadda Burger. Zong Kong up from Buddy does huge dishes. Resort staff will often order lunch from there. Most places have fridge - grab some Dutch Gouda, bread, fruit for lunch. Plazita Limena (Peruvian) does a paella so large it was dinner for 3 nights (maybe $22). Up the street (Kaya Industria?) from Carib Inn is a Asian mini-market with frozen dinners, quick prep stuff, fresh fruits and veggies, beer by the bottle (even had Sam Adams lager).

Buddy's breakfast is included, but you do pay for it. You can also opt out and save $115 a week. But Magda's waffles and omelets and Dennis' smile every morning make it well worth the cost! The Buddy prices are listed on their website, very comprehensive listing, everything can be had packaged or ala carte.

I find Bonaire food prices better than my norm given my reference is mid-Atlantic-metropole of New York City-Philadelphia-Washington DC. Even the Capriccio's - Wils Tropical Grill - Mona Lisa are comparable.

Enjoy all! Post your trip reports and impressions. Wish I was heading back soon. This summer takes me to St. Thomas (business + some diving) and the UK (no diving - but where I fully expect sticker shock on everything).

Make sure you get the best exchange rate and watch the conversion fees!! :wink:
One nice thing about Atlanta Airport is that they have all these awesome machines from my bank (Wells Fargo) there. You just stick a card in, probably for identification purposes, and it spits out FREE cash, and in the currency of Bonaire! It's AWESOME!

I just wish I knew why my bank account is so low.:D

I went last year with a group of friends. we carried a couple hundred dollars. mostly used credit cards (call your card company to let them know you will be there using it). meals were a little pricey but really not too bad 20-35 for dinner I think. You can find cheaper all over the island. Breakfast should be free at Buddy Dive, which was plentiful and good. (we will also be there first week of June). Can't wait to return!! If your plane lands in Curaço, Make sure you have 5.00 cash for the "fee" to use their airport.... we now call it the Curaçao Shakedown.. cards were accepted almost everywhere we went. I don't recall the 35.00 departure fee mentioned, from last year.

Breakfast at Buddy's is NOT free, unless you PAY for the breakfast package.. But then again I guess that means it's not really free.

Edit - sorry I see someone else already pointed this out... nevermind..

Back
Top Bottom