First Trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is easy as they use the dollar. So..... just bring plenty of cash... a good mix of small bills and then return home with whatever you don't use. Also, we use a Chase / United Mileage Plus Visa card as there are no foreign transaction fees. I think they call it the "explorer" card. PS.. you'll have a safe in your room at Buddies.

Last edited:
I'm heading off to Bonaire for the first time next week, and I had a question about bug spray.

What type, how much, and how often?

I was in Curacao in 2010, and I remember packing some deet-containing spray after reading about dengue on the island, but don't remember it being a really big deal once I was there, not many bugs nor bites. Is Bonaire much different? I've got permethrin, picaridin, citronella, deet, and lemon eucalyptus all ready to go, but do not know which or how much to bring. Thanks in advance.

It never hurts to have some bug spray. That said, Bonaire is deep into the dry part of the year and there will be few bugs around, for the most part, as there will be little standing water. Waterfront areas are always a bit different, so if you head out to dine near the shore, bring something along for your ankle and legs under the table. Just in case.

I'm not sure but we may have gotten into some sand fleas somewhere too. Maybe use some bug spray on your ankles if you're eating at Kite City.

I went last year with a group of friends. we carried a couple hundred dollars. mostly used credit cards (call your card company to let them know you will be there using it). meals were a little pricey but really not too bad 20-35 for dinner I think. You can find cheaper all over the island. Breakfast should be free at Buddy Dive, which was plentiful and good. (we will also be there first week of June). Can't wait to return!! If your plane lands in Curaço, Make sure you have 5.00 cash for the "fee" to use their airport.... we now call it the Curaçao Shakedown.. cards were accepted almost everywhere we went. I don't recall the 35.00 departure fee mentioned, from last year.

I don't recall the 35.00 departure fee mentioned, from last year.

The departure tax is now built into the fare of all major airlines.

Heading to Bonaire and Aruba next month. After a trip last year on which foreign transaction fees appeared for the first time, I switched to a new credit card that does not charge them.

Heading to Bonaire and Aruba next month. After a trip last year on which foreign transaction fees appeared for the first time, I switched to a new credit card that does not charge them.

I plan to convert all my cash into Bonaire's official currency and pay that way. Just have to hit up the "conversion machine" on my way out. :D

Capital one quick silver card does not charge international transaction fees and offers 1.5% cash back on every transaction. So thats $15.00 on cash back every $1000 dollars spent.

I plan to convert all my cash into Bonaire's official currency and pay that way. Just have to hit up the "conversion machine" on my way out. :D

Make sure you get the best exchange rate and watch the conversion fees!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom