Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think those are clever, I believe they are not really adapters but instead a threaded mount plate that replaces the bayonet section. To bad it seems none of this is available here.

N

Int'l shipping makes it more expensive, of course, but I believe Fun-In ships to the US, no problem.

The housing comes with the screw in fiber optic plug. But, no, it does not come with the optional blocking plate. I imagine a lot of people will cover that with electrical tape, lol or perhaps make their own but I did order one of those.

The screw in fiber optic plug blocks most of the flash port. No, I think you can go without so no excuse there but you may have to order one eventually.

N

Since the Reef order had already gone out, I decided to grab the panel from Backscatter. Have to pay tax in state, but it's a small item. Good news is, they're close, so it actually already arrived! Now I have to wait for the housing to come (tomorrow, in theory). Meanwhile I have this tantalizing little bit, taunting me with it's current state of uselessness.

Perhaps I'll wear it as an eyepatch. Arrrr...

It's here, and it's BEAUTIFUL! WOOHOO!!!

I can't wait to get home and set it all up. (Naturally, I grabbed my whole camera case but forgot my Fix>Ikelite Tray adapter plate at home)

The one bad thing is Reef sent me the wrong screw ... again ... to hold my D2000's magnet in place. So I'm going to have to improvise this weekend, until I can get the right part. (Apparently the earlier D2000s use a different part than the more current models, and Inon sends them only the current model replacement parts, so not entirely Reef's fault... they're trying to contact Inon about it directly)

The screw I need to hold the magnet is 6mm, 1 thread per mm. Apparently, the same as the screw used for the mounting adapter plate. I happen to have a spare at home (broken head, but it'll work for this weekend), so I should be ok for this weekend while we try to find a more permanent solution. (Perhaps these or these, and hack off the extra length?)

Does anything hold the fiber optic "screw" thingie in place, or is it kept in place by hand-tight (carefully!) threading only? That seems like something that could come loose if not checked regularly, or which could wear if regularly taken on and off.

Last edited:
Either of your linked items will do the trick. If you don't want to cut the shank of the thumb screw you can always buy a knob (like this) to press onto the head of the screw.

If you are not planning on removing the fiber optic cable holder often a drop or 2 of loctite 242 should help relieve anxiety about unintentional loosening.

For semi-permanent installation of the fiber optic cable holder a high strength thread locker like Loctite 2760 could be a solution.

Well, I am not jumping on anybody but I would be very careful about using Loctite in, on or around Acrylic plastic.

Compu, just a reminder, if you are using the plate, be careful of the thumb screws being to long, as per the note, check them for your tray. Some Ikelite trays are slightly different thickness.

N

Will do.

I took a few shots of the Fix S90 housing as compared to my current (now prior?) camera, my S80, in the Ikelite housing (NOT one of the new compact housings), just for kicks. Sooo much smaller! :D

1-IMG_0475.JPG
3-IMG_0474.JPG

7-IMG_0472.JPG
4-IMG_0473.JPG

(more, and higher res, here)

I think I could almost fit the Fix S90 housing inside the Ikelite housing! LOL

Where did we get the idea the Fisheye UWL-04 is wider than the Inon 165AD? The Inon has a native .405 magnification and the Fisheye is .420. In fact, the Fisheye page only claims a FOV of 130 degrees maximum which is similar to the 100WAL with dome. Unless this is wrong, I think I am going to divert the funds I was saving for the Fisheye lens to some other project.

My adapters supposedly arrive today, I will hopefully be able to test the Inon 165AD, at least in the hot tub for compatibility. Fingers crossed.

Another thing I have learned, I guess I already knew it, the Inon 100-28AD when equipped with the dome will vignette slightly native. This requires very minor cropping leaving an approximate FOV of about 150 degrees compared to the 100WAL with the same dome, no vignetting native and 130 plus degrees, no cropping required.

This leads me to believe the dome corrected Inon 100 series lenses will be as wide if not wider than the Fisheye product?

N

Where did we get the idea the Fisheye UWL-04 is wider than the Inon 165AD? The Inon has a native .405 magnification and the Fisheye is .420. In fact, the Fisheye page only claims a FOV of 130 degrees maximum which is similar to the 100WAL with dome. Unless this is wrong, I think I am going to divert the funds I was saving for the Fisheye lens to some other project.

Good question... I guess it's from this link: http://fisheye-jp.com/works_lens/index.html If you compare all the images the UWL-04 is clearly the widest. However, I don't see the Inon wide lenses with dome lens for comparison. The more I check that page the more it looks like an advert for the UWL-04 lens...

My adapters supposedly arrive today, I will hopefully be able to test the Inon 165AD, at least in the hot tub for compatibility. Fingers crossed.

Eagerly awaiting your feedback :)

Good question... I guess it's from this link: http://fisheye-jp.com/works_lens/index.html If you compare all the images the UWL-04 is clearly the widest. However, I don't see the Inon wide lenses with dome lens for comparison. The more I check that page the more it looks like an advert for the UWL-04 lens...

Eagerly awaiting your feedback :)

Same here, will test in actual water today if all goes well. I am pretty darn sure, just from having owned and used the dome fitted Inon 100WAL that it is as wide as what we are seeing in the Fisheye pic or very darn close.

The 165AD-FE is a 4 inch dome--fingers crossed
The Inon dome for 100 series lenses is about 5 inches (this is a heavy lens)
The Fisheye UWL-04 is a much larger 6 inch dome

N

Good question... I guess it's from this link: http://fisheye-jp.com/works_lens/index.html If you compare all the images the UWL-04 is clearly the widest.

The UWL-04 comes up as the widest usable lens. The 165AD-FE is the widest but the zoom you have to use to eliminate the vignetting robs you of it's real capacity for WA/FE.

I'm also eagerly waiting for the result of Nemrod's tests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom