Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that reefphoto is now listing two AD adaptors for the Fisheye FIX housing (both 28AD and normal AD) I wonder if the normal AD adapter will work well with my UFL-165AD lens...

28AD - FIX S90 Inon 28AD Mount Lens Adapter [fix.s90.28ad.adapter] - $190.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
AD - FIX S90 Inon AD Mount Lens Adpater [fix.s90.ad.adapter] - $190.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Thanks, I did not see that, thanks. If indeed they have the adapter then you don't have to use the threaded 10Bar (or DIY) adapter.

I am confident that the AD lenses can work with the FIX housing so it is great if indeed an AD mount is being offered. I will be getting one. My wife will now kill me for sure.

But, let me point out something, the 67mm mount is the most versatile in that it can hold the threaded Fisheye UWL-04, AD lenses with the 10 dollar AD mount and all Inon Type 2 mount lenses and with the ST adapter (about 30 dollars) possibly the ST mount Fisheye lens. That is a saving of 180 to 280 dollars----! But at this point, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

N

That's extremely interesting. There's nothing about a plain AD (non-28AD) adapter on the Fisheye site. I'll have to give Reef a call and ask what's up. I'm going to be pissed if I wasted nearly $200 on an adapter when a different one would have been better...

Maybe, maybe not, it is my opinion now and based on very little, lol, that the lens with the widest useful view is going to be the Inon 100-28AD with dome and that the straight 100-28AD is also a very useful set up. That, with the dome, is an expensive lens. :depressed: The next best will be the 165AD-FE and third best the 100WAL with dome tied with the Fisheye UWL-04. Just an educated guess. I sure would like to have the Fisheye lens to test.

Those adapters should cost 75 dollars, not 200. :(.

I guess we could be complaining because there were no options, good news is that the S90 is a picture shooting son of a gun. :)

N

Maybe, maybe not, it is my opinion now and based on very little, lol, that the lens with the widest useful view is going to be the Inon 100-28AD with dome and that the straight 100-28AD is also a very useful set up. That, with the dome, is an expensive lens. :depressed: The next best will be the 165AD-FE and third best the 100WAL with dome tied with the Fisheye UWL-04. Just an educated guess. I sure would like to have the Fisheye lens to test.

Those adapters should cost 75 dollars, not 200. :(.

I guess we could be complaining because there were no options, good news is that the S90 is a picture shooting son of a gun. :)

My buddy is going on vacation for a couple of weeks, and I'm going to borrow her UFL-165AD while she's gone. I hope to get out on a boat again on 2/13 (and given the rain, I probably won't be able to shore dive before then anyway), so I'll be able to test it for real (finally) then.

I'm also going to want to test my UCL-165AD macro lenses without the stupid 28AD adapter ring which I'm thinking they don't actually need.

Darnit, at this rate I'm tempted to just throw on my gear and jump in my parent's pool to shoot some test shots!

My buddy is going on vacation for a couple of weeks, and I'm going to borrow her UFL-165AD while she's gone. I hope to get out on a boat again on 2/13 (and given the rain, I probably won't be able to shore dive before then anyway), so I'll be able to test it for real (finally) then.

I'm also going to want to test my UCL-165AD macro lenses without the stupid 28AD adapter ring which I'm thinking they don't actually need.

Darnit, at this rate I'm tempted to just throw on my gear and jump in my parent's pool to shoot some test shots!

Yeah, I am just going to get in the Y pool, just a matter of talk vs action and waiting to complete a few things before I test them. I always test in the pool before traveling a thousand miles to dive. Cheaper that way.

I am trying to convert my wired Oceanic Nikonos strobe to a slave and it is becoming a major engineering project to fit a sensor in there and which way do I point it, ---.

N

If you guys want someone to test your rigs, it's nice and sunny here in central Chile and we've had calm seas with pretty good viz lately. Just send them on down and I'll be glad to play with them.

Those adapters should cost 75 dollars, not 200. .

Agreed!

The Inon AD28 lens mount adaptors mount the lens closer (theoretically) to the port glass than the regular AD adaptors, otherwise why the need to add the adaptor ring to mount an AD lens to an AD28 mount - that just makes the Inon lens farther away from the port glass. And I actually believe the lens is NOT closer with an AD28 adaptor vs. an AD, I think the extra mounting spacing is to aid focus with the wider angle lens. Also, if a UFL-165FE gives a 165 degree view with a 35mm equivalent lens, why shouldn't it do the same with the S-90 zoomed from 28 to 35? Conditions were calm enough yesterday here in Coz for me to take some pictures of a coral head at Palancar Blocks with the Canon S-90 at 28 and 35 zoom, with and without a UWL-105AD lens. I have them on my computer, just need to know how to post them here.

Also, if a UFL-165FE gives a 165 degree view with a 35mm equivalent lens, why shouldn't it do the same with the S-90 zoomed from 28 to 35?

The problem is that the 28mm native S90 lens backs up as you zoom from 28 to 35mm equivilent. Take a small pipe and put it to your eye, close, look through it and then move it away from your eye, the FOV gets smaller doesn't it and it vignettes in that your eye starts to see around the pipe more than through it?

To answer your question, from my hot tub pics, I have measured the FOV with the 165AD-FE and it is very close to the 165 degrees using the FIX 67mm threaded kit and the 10Bar AD/67mm adapter (10 dollars). The reason it seems to work is that the lens is kept CLOSE to the port more so than whatever was shown on the FIX sample page. I think they may have figured this out if indeed FIX is now offering an AD adapter (in addition to the known 28AD kit) of their own.

It may be needed with the 165AD-FE and the 10028AD with dome to do a 95 to 98% crop. This is a minimal crop, the resulting image will only be reduced a few degrees of FOV.

Lenses are measured in FOV diagonally. Fisheye lenses and wide angle lenses in general are challenged with corner sharpness and light fall off, this and barrel distortion are the nature of the beast.

The human eyes have a FOV over 180 degrees but they were made by God :D, not Inon. We are asking an awful lot for an add on lens especially vs something like a Tokina 10-17 on a dSLR. Given these restriction, nonetheless, I think these lens will perform admirably with the S90, at least with the FIX housing, the other two, maybe hope there also.

I bought a Tokina 10-17 in Canon mount. I bought a Canon T1i. I am keeping the lens. The camera I took back and got the S90 when I realized the FIX housing was the REAL DEALIO! The T1i was a chunky POC IMO. I could never figure out how to set the shutter and f stop, got this Command wheel and then you have to push button, the Live View was a joke, yuk, then the 2,500 dollars Sea Tool housing, no way baby. It ain't worth that investment. Took the sucker back like it was a toaster oven. They had the S90 on sale, Rock and Roll.

N

Last edited:
In fairness to FIX and the 200 dollars adapters, please reduce those to less than 100 dollars :kiss2:, but, they probably figured you would only purchase one, not all of them :rofl3:.

N

Back
Top Bottom