Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell you one other thing, the 105AD lens, I had one and I sold it on eBay some time ago. I was never really happy with it after I got my Inon 100WAL and then I put the dome on it and wish I still had the 105AD. But, I never got the results from it I did with the 100WAL or the 165AD but I hardly think my opinion is conclusive on that.

Nemrod

I am curious about your statement on the 105AD. You say you like the other two lenses better, but then say you wish you still had the 105AD. Is that because it is smaller and lighter and still does an OK job as a "narrow wide angle" lens?

thanks
John

No mystery, I bought a 100WAL. I liked it better than the 105AD. The bayonet mount is good in theory but the 67mm is more universal. I sold the 105AD to pay for the dome kit for my WAL100 and now miss having the 105AD for a mid range wide angle lens.

The 105AD and 165AD lenses are prone to vignetting with many cameras, like the ones I own. In the case of the 165AD, the huge FOV and depth of field focus are worth the hassle because the lens is so unique, the 105AD cannot do anything the 100WAL can do. I prefer the WAL100 and the threaded mount. Just easier to deal with, easier to make mounts for, more universal in application, much less tendency to vignette and more tolerant of being mounted in less than optimal position.

N

Is the fix 67mm adapter really $200? It just looks like a small ring, or am I missing something.

It's more than a small ring, but yes, I agree the adapters are absurdly priced for what you get.

It's a screw-down ring (like a filter with no glass) that screws onto the threaded lens tube (middle), a fixing ring to hold everything in place on the tube (left), and then the actual threaded ring that fits over the the first ring (right).

fe-fixs90-m67_1.jpg

The 28AD mount/adapter is identical for the first two bits, except the last/third part (on the right) has bayonet threads inside instead of the fine 67mm threads.

The port adapter and clamp ring are the same piece for all kits, only the lens adapter part varies. All snap on and off--slide on and off.

N

No mystery, I bought a 100WAL. I liked it better than the 105AD. The bayonet mount is good in theory but the 67mm is more universal. I sold the 105AD to pay for the dome kit for my WAL100 and now miss having the 105AD for a mid range wide angle lens.

The 105AD and 165AD lenses are prone to vignetting with many cameras, like the ones I own. In the case of the 165AD, the huge FOV and depth of field focus are worth the hassle because the lens is so unique, the 105AD cannot do anything the 100WAL can do. I prefer the WAL100 and the threaded mount. Just easier to deal with, easier to make mounts for, more universal in application, much less tendency to vignette and more tolerant of being mounted in less than optimal position.

N

Ironically, I have the Fix dome lens and the Ike wide angle one with 67mm threads....just have not had a chance to compare them.

Ironically, I have the Fix dome lens and the Ike wide angle one with 67mm threads....just have not had a chance to compare them.

Pretty please take them to a pool and shoot some pics for examples?

N

Seconded! :blinking:

Yeah and from a known distance so we can get an idea of actual coverage, oh please, please :kiss2:. This might really be helpful to a bunch of people.

No pressure :eyebrow:. Just saying.

N

Is the fix 67mm adapter really $200? It just looks like a small ring, or am I missing something.

They are three machined nylon pieces, but, I have complained from the beginning, they should be 75 dollars, not 200. But here is the deal, they did not anticipate anyone buying but one type. I realize there are a few fanatics like me and a couple of more that might buy them all but that is rare.

However, I might add, the FIX kits, overpriced, yes, do they work as advertised, yes.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom