Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah and from a known distance so we can get an idea of actual coverage, oh please, please :kiss2:. This might really be helpful to a bunch of people.

No pressure :eyebrow:. Just saying.

N

Will do as soon as my ankle is healed enough to walk like a normal person...slipped on some wet metal stairs coming off the Sidney harbor bridge just over a week ago and rolled it. Travel was not a good thing to do the next day.

My pool is not very deep, but should be able to do something to the side walls. Will shoot without and then with each one from a fixed distance and at several different wide angle setting (say 28 and 35)...

Camera is working now... very, very odd thing...was some sort of electronic malfuction.

After I got it to close using the usb connection and no memory card... when I put a freshly charged battery back, and the memory card it locked up again... but this time it would not close using the usb... well not until I waited a day.. then it worked like normal.... so fresh battery, but this time a different memory card... and it worked great...after about 20 tests put the original back in... now works fine.

Given how smooth it works when it did move... I can only conclude that for some reason the system thought there was an issue and would not turn the motor on...some sort of error register? Some how it got cleared and now works fine...odd.

Would be nice to know what the issue was.

Hi

This is my first post so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.
This thread is just what i've been looking for, ever since I ordered a S90.

I've used Canon housings before, for the S1 IS and most recently the ixus 860. after much deliberation I finally arrived at a solution for using my Sea & Sea MM2 lenses with the ixus - I bought the Inon 298AD adapter and epoxied in a cut-down MM2 adapter intended for the sony MPK-THA. It fits perfectly! Seems to work well too, no vignetting at all on a 16mm lens once its submerged.
I've got a canon housing for the S90 on order, and am awaiting the arrival of the inon adapter in the UK so I can do the same trick. However I am sorely tempted by the FIX housing, despite the price and the fact that I'll probably have to get it from the states.

My question is this: can anyone suggest what adapter to get for the FIX housing to maximise its flexibility? It seems absurd to buy the (expensive) 28AD adapter only to bodge it with a glued-on MM2 fitting. would I be better getting say a screw thread adapter and adding a cheap 28AD adapter ring which I could bodge with a clear conscience?

I have come across a 46mm to MM2 adapter made by FIT and sold by Divervision (I'm apparently not allowed to post the url until I have 5 posts under my belt - its product id=1027)

It would be too good to be true for the FIX housing to take a 46mm screw adapter directly, but miracles can happen (but generally not to me:D). What screw thread does the FIX housing take?

Since there seem to be so many helpful folk on this forum with a talent for solving such problems, can anyone suggest the best course of action? I have all 4 MM2 lenses (16mm 20mm and both macros) which used to work well back in days of the MM2 camera, but would like the option to go wider / fisheye at a later date with a different lens fitting.

Thank you for your indulgence

It would be too good to be true for the FIX housing to take a 46mm screw adapter directly, but miracles can happen (but generally not to me:D). What screw thread does the FIX housing take?

Sorry, the Fix housing has no threads that a normal adapter fits. The only threads are on the outside of the lens tube, so their adapter threads onto it, which then allows the attachment of one of their lens mounts: AD or 67mm would work best, except you're still stuck buying one of their expensive adapters.

dhuskins,

Thank you for the photos. Is "Big Blue 1x5AF LED" your focus light? How do you like it?

Thanks

Yes, I use the Big Blue focus light. It's a carry over from my Olympus 770SW system. It is more than adequate and I don't see a reason to replace it yet.

Ok, I have been reading like crazy and still am confused as ever. I want to get a new camera and housing set up, and was going to go with the G11. However I also want to get a Fisheye lens and maybe macro, but really want an easy wet mount to switch during a dive. If I get the Canon S90 with the FIX housing, the ST mount adapter, the FIX UWL-04 ST mount and the Seatool Elements Close Up Lens for ST mount I should be set? It seems like the ST mount would be easier to add/remove during a dive than the 67mm mount. Since I have no 67mm or AD lenses to consider, is ST mount the way to go?

Ok, I have been reading like crazy and still am confused as ever. I want to get a new camera and housing set up, and was going to go with the G11. However I also want to get a Fisheye lens and maybe macro, but really want an easy wet mount to switch during a dive. If I get the Canon S90 with the FIX housing, the ST mount adapter, the FIX UWL-04 ST mount and the Seatool Elements Close Up Lens for ST mount I should be set? It seems like the ST mount would be easier to add/remove during a dive than the 67mm mount. Since I have no 67mm or AD lenses to consider, is ST mount the way to go?

I'm not familiar with the ST mount, personally. Perhaps the folks at Reef could advise you on this one... I haven't seen a single post mentioning the ST mount in any thread on the S90 I've read. (and I think I've read them all)

The Sea Tool mount is a bayonet mount system proprietary to Seatool/Fisheye. I am not especially familiar with or what lenses are available inn that mount other than the Fisheye UWL-04.

I am still of a mind that either the FIX28AD mount and appropriate Inon macro lenses (UCL-165AD) and the Inon WAL100-28AD (with or without dome) are a good choice or the FIX67mm mount and 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter are the best choices.

The other choice is the G11 with the Fisheye dry mount wide angle and then adapter for macro but you cannot switch out during the dive.

N

Ok, managed to go to the pool and attempt swimming with a bad ankle...found out, while I was gone they switched the pool to saltwater... neat.

Was only able to test the Ike lens (the other one is the wrong size ... thanks Reef)

So, standing on the first lane line, I took an image with the camera set at 35mm:

ike_comparison_1.JPG

and then attached the lens and in the same spot, took this:

Ike_wide_angle.JPG

I can also tell you it is wider than the fix, which really surprised me.

I've gone over the original...it is far better than I would ever have expected...must say, am very surprised at the edge detail, the minimal distortion...not bad.

I did have to zoom in one step to get this.

I fired my strobes, as it was very, very dark in the pool.

Last edited:
I don't understand? You are saying that the Ikelite WAL lens is wider than the Fisheye UWL-04?

The UWL-04 comes in a 52mm mount and supposedly comes with a step up ring to 67mm.

Nice looking shot, looks clean and sharp.

N

I don't understand? You are saying that the Ikelite WAL lens is wider than the Fisheye UWL-04?

The UWL-04 comes in a 52mm mount and supposedly comes with a step up ring to 67mm.

Nice looking shot, looks clean and sharp.

N

Yea, I know, seems they forgot to provide the step-up ring, and I was it too much of a rush to get ready for vacation to notice.

I held the lens up to the camera and compared it to the Ikelite, and while one gets a lot of distortion (had the camera at 28mm), there is very little difference in the field of view.. except the Ikelite appeared slightly wider...

I believe the steps are 6 ft wide, and if I reached out, could not quite touch the end of the hand rail...on land, at 28 mm, it would not even be close to that wide of coverage....I was going to guess it was a 20 mm lens (hence the name), but it actually appears to be a bit wider than that.

So used to seeing distortion with a wide view, it was not what I expected. It is also all glass... and fairly heavy.

I know it does not do the fisheye look, but I am somewhat pleased with the results.

Looks like the field of view, at roughly 4-5 ft with the 28mm setting is 5ft (those are two inch squares), and with the lens on..between 7-8.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom