Flood insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just signed up with State Farm.

The Pro's: NO deductible.
All losses covered (run over the camera 2 or 3 times with your car
and.....it's covered! Drop it into the abyss and....it's covered)
NO deductible
Lower cost
NO deductible :wink:

Con's: Haven't found one.

Is this a rider on a homeowners policy or a seperate policy?

crpntr133:
Is this a rider on a homeowners policy or a seperate policy?

It's an individual policy for the specified property only. I don't have any other insurance with them except for my dive/camera gear. Contact any local agent and after their initial confusion :06: about insuring dive equipment they will get you the forms. A bonus is that flood coverage does not cost extra and camera equipment is actually less expensive to cover than the dive equipment. I paid about $50 for $3000 in coverage, well below DAN and DEPP.

DvrRick:
It's an individual policy for the specified property only. I don't have any other insurance with them except for my dive/camera gear. Contact any local agent and after their initial confusion :06: about insuring dive equipment they will get you the forms. A bonus is that flood coverage does not cost extra and camera equipment is actually less expensive to cover than the dive equipment. I paid about $50 for $3000 in coverage, well below DAN and DEPP.

Hmmm. When I talked to my agent they said that I could get insurance with a renters/homeowners policy that could cover dive gear, cameras, etc... It had a $500 deductible though. Nothing like what you described. What is the exact name of the policy/forms you got?

TostitoBandito:
Hmmm. When I talked to my agent they said that I could get insurance with a renters/homeowners policy that could cover dive gear, cameras, etc... It had a $500 deductible though. Nothing like what you described. What is the exact name of the policy/forms you got?

The paperwork says "State Farm Personal Articles policy".

The problem with a homeowners policy (Other than the deductible) is that any claim can raise your home insurance rates. Let me know if you need any other info.

DvrRick:
The paperwork says "State Farm Personal Articles policy".

The problem with a homeowners policy (Other than the deductible) is that any claim can raise your home insurance rates. Let me know if you need any other info.

I just called a local State Farm Agent. Here's the details:

For my zipcode, the cost is $1.52 per $100 insured. Each item is listed, and a replacement value for each item must be stated (and insured for). There is a minimum premium of $30, which equates to a minimum insured amount of $1973.

The agent at first told me that scuba gear was not covered, but when I told her that I read on this board that it is, she called the regional office and verified that it is covered.

Hope this helps.

DvrRick:

I checked with my Allstate agent and they too have a policy for cameras, however it will not cover the flood issue. The analogy that he gave me as to why it would not be covered left something to be desired - he equated the flood issue to a wear item like brakes on a car. Nonetheless, the coverage is still cheap and I may simply add the DEPP policy as a backup. I may also check into obtaining coverage for everything through State Farm as DvrRick suggests. I just don't want to change my homeowners policy just for this issue. Too many claim free years to start over at higher premiums.

Because my agent is also a diver I trust his knowledge of this issue. He told me that he can add $3000 worth of "sporting goods" coverage onto my homeowners policy for about $40 annually,. This will cover any lost (fell off the boat), damaged (somebody drops their IMAX camera on it) or stolen equipment with a max amount of $2000 for any one item. My Oly 5060 and othet accessories are covered anyway under my homeowners policy while traveling because the total value does not exceed 10% of my contents insurance. The real issue is "will all this duplicate coverage be less than a single policy" ? I'll just have to see.

I was told flood damage is covered with State Farm. Also camera gear actually costs less than the dive gear to insure. The Personal Articles is the only policy I have with State Farm; no homeowners, auto, etc. I was also told all damages are covered, ie: if I run over my camera a few times with my vehicle the damage is covered. (Just an example, it's new equipment and I'm very happy with it so don't get any ideas :wink:)

Hmmm....it sounds like I'm pushing State Farm, maybe they'll give me a commission? :eyebrow:

Here's my coverage specifics:
$778 camera equip.
$2338 personal property (dive equip)
$46 yearly cost total

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom