Flooded my DC600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs Fic

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys. Back from an awesome live aboard with just 'the girls' on Cat Ppalu to Exuma Cayes, Bahamas. BUT, flooded my camera on 2nd day!! :dork2: I guess I was in such a hurry to get out on the dive deck after replacing the lithium battery between dives, that I didn't get the housing latched properly. If you are not careful, you can latch it all the way down without 'catching' it properly before flipping over the cam and snapping it down into place. No debris or pinching was found on the o-ring or it's matching counterpart on thd lid. I don't think I put it in the rinse tank this time, went straight to diving area for DM to pass it down to me after entering the water. Upon descending to about 10 ft, I started turning it on when I noticed 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the LCD window. After a choice expletive, I ascended quickly and gave it to the DM, who dried it off, took it out and laid it all out to dry immediately. But it was of course too late.

The redeeming thing was my friend having the same camera but with the digital (yellow) strobe. She felt task loaded already, fiddling with her new canister light, and that my photography skills were better to date, anyway...so, she let me use her camera the rest of the week in my own housing (which BTW went without incident).

Got some good shots, but waiting to have time to edit them (or to talk my hubby into editing them with PS, with which he is getting proficient and can do a better job than I ever imagined). Can't wait to show you my shots of rays, sharks, the blue hole, etc! My biggest limitation with the setup was trying to get the strobe aimed effectively into dark holes in the coral heads, and getting shots on night dives. For the night dives, I had to hold a small light aimed at the subject to get the camera focused, then move it away and depress the shutter button while trying to hold it steady enough! Any ideas on night UW photography with this camera? There has got to be a better way!!!

Do send your camera into Sea Life. It's worth a try.

I should be getting my DC800 by the end of the month... It will be the first ITEM I get insured by DAN I think...

I would recomend any electronics you dive to get insured...
Take a look at State Farm's Inland Marine policy. You may be surprised... :11:

That totally stinks, but at least it wasnt a total loss pic wise.

Read up on the flood compilation thread, people have been rinsing a flooded camera in fresh water (or is that soaking, not too sure), then alcohol and then sticking it in a bag of rice and finding out that works. You have nothiing to lose at this point, worth a shot.

What I do for night photography is aim a low power light the whole time, I hold it and the strobe arm at the same time. Mostly it works, when the flash doesn't fire you sometimes still get a decent shot, with lots of shadow, kind of looks cool.

But please wait for the others to chime in, some awesome photogs here...

The redeeming thing was my friend having the same camera but with the digital (yellow) strobe. She felt task loaded already, fiddling with her new canister light, and that my photography skills were better to date, anyway...so, she let me use her camera the rest of the week in my own housing (which BTW went without incident).

Not a problem at all!:wink::D Glad you got a chance to play with it & learnit a bit. I'll just live vicariously through your pictures.:popcorn:

You said the Digital flash was yellow. The External flash is yellow and you can't change the amount of light. The Digital is black.

Sorry to hear about your camera. Send it into Sealife immediately.

Post some pics!!!

Bummer on the F-word!

Glad that you had a backup :wink: You'll have to send your friend a nice bottle of wine to enjoy with a little slideshow of the images!

good idea!:D

You said the Digital flash was yellow. The External flash is yellow and you can't change the amount of light. The Digital is black.

Yes, you are right--thanks for the correction. She has the ext flash and mine is the digital.

Not a problem at all!:wink::D Glad you got a chance to play with it & learnit a bit. I'll just live vicariously through your pictures.:popcorn:

ha ha ha thanks so much again! can't wait to get some shots edited and up, but waiting for Brad to help me! why don't you just give me yours, and then i don't have to worry about fixing mine? ha ha ha see ya round the shop this week maybe...

Read up on the flood compilation thread, people have been rinsing a flooded camera in fresh water (or is that soaking, not too sure), then alcohol and then sticking it in a bag of rice and finding out that works. You have nothiing to lose at this point, worth a shot.

Thanks, will check it out, but I am waiting for Denise to comment or will try to get in touch with SeaLife this week and see what they say 1st.

I should be getting my DC800 by the end of the month... It will be the first ITEM I get insured by DAN I think...

I would recomend any electronics you dive to get insured...

First, let me say I'm jealous about the 800 :D, but I was short on time to get my camera before this trip, which is why I got the 600 and also why I didn't get insurance yet. How stupid...:shakehead: of course I'm going to flood it when it's new and I'm not used to dealing with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom