Florida Cave advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatech3

Reaction score
Im just getting into cave diving and I am heading to Florida this winter. Any recomendations for sites and and any other advice I need to know?
Thanks

Aquatech3:
Im just getting into cave diving and I am heading to Florida this winter. Any recomendations for sites and and any other advice I need to know?
Thanks
Hi Aquatech3, welcome to SB! You can check www.floridacaves.com for a list of springs and sinks. (although, I'm not sure how up-to-date it is) Keep an eye on theFlorida Conch Divers forum. There's SBers all over the state, always diving somewhere, and waiting for you to join the fun! Dive right in, the water's fine :D Feel free to send me a PM (click on my user name) if you need help navigating the forums. Enjoy the board!

Thanks for the advice, I will check that out.

Aquatech3:
Thanks

What does "just getting into cave diving" mean? Are you cave cert? If so at what level? What part of FL are you visiting?

First bit of advice - take a cavern course. Then dive the caverns for a while. Ask your instructor what caverns are good to dive. Once you've done that a while, take Intro or Basic. Then dive to that limitation for a while. Again, ask your instructor for advice. That's what your instructor is there for. Once you've done that, take the full cave course. When you complete that, ask your question again.

Diveaholic's advice is good,take a cavern course and learn the basic skills,then get a lot of experience practicing those skills before advancing. Since you live in Michigan this can be kind of tough because that means coming to Florida to do practice diving will involve some time,but the biggest mistake people make is they get training,let a year elapse,then say it was 1 year since I got by certification I must be ready for the next level,without getting any practice diving in between.

Exactly! We've been going to Florida twice a year since we started cavern/cave diving. We just bought a house in Marianna in June so now the trips will double. :D In fact, we're heading back in 3 weeks to furnish the house so we can rent it out to cave divers when we're not there.

Remember, though, that a lot of the skills learned in cavern can be practiced in open water. In between Florida trips, we're at a local lake running reels, practicing bottle drops, working on our trim and buoyancy. It's not the same as being in an overhead, but it keeps us in practice with the skills.

I'd like to hear more about the rental house. I live 140 miles from Marianna so I tend to go there often.

karstdvr:
I'd like to hear more about the rental house. I live 140 miles from Marianna so I tend to go there often.

PM sent.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom