Florida Lionfish Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
We have recently been informed that the State of Florida has made a one-year exemption to the current fishing regulations regarding Lionfish. In the past it was required to purchase a saltwater fishing license to hunt this invasive species.

We believe that the State regulators have made a wise decision with their attempt to remove any barrier which may hinder the ability of divers to help control the population of this invasive and destructive species.

This means that locals and vacationing divers (who do not otherwise engage in saltwater fishing) can now “help out” without incurring any additional licensing costs.

Please take a look at our lionfish Killer:

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mlfk.htm

MLFK-2.jpg

We also carry safety shears which can be used to trim the sharp spines which some people prefer to do when they are retaining the fish for human consumption.

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mlfss.3.htm

mlfss_sml.jpg

Please note that in order to take any other species inFlorida with a pole spear, speargun or otherwise will continue to require purchase of a license.

Attachments

• LionfishHarvest.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 105
I'm not sure this is a good idea. I would be in favor of anyone ages 16-65 carrying a spearing device to possess and Valid Florida Fishing License.

Please share a link or phone number to confirm. I also don't understand an "exemption" can exist ewhen all prohibitions remain for polespears and spearguns. Where is the exemption, on your gear only?

---------- Post Merged at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Is this a blanket exemption for Lionfish by any take means? I have approached FWC regarding this issue and been turned down. This is great news, but I need to take to my local enforcers for confirmation, since they will be writing the tickets.

Good to know the state supports spearing the Lionfish. Peronsally I'd like to see anyone with a spear to have a license to keep people spearing snapper without a license to just say.. Oh we were spearing lionfisheses. Shears -- Look into the medical field suppliers I have seen some much longer SS shears and thnk they would be a could offering. Those critters point their spines right at you while you are trying to cut them. If it is a very large LF the standard EMT shears "feel" short fencing with them..

Also, is there any tie in for Federal Waters for commercial boats? My big problem is, I can fish them in state waters, but spend the majority of time in fed waters with paying customers. I have lots of folks seeing them, and wanting to kill them, but can't even have take gear aboard. Need a pass to hunt any time, anywhere. Understand Lionfish only. I have proposed purpose built gear, like yours, only, and no other specifies aboard, period. All other regulations apply. Can't get a pass. Need all the help I can get.

I'm not sure this is a good idea. I would be in favor of anyone ages 16-65 carrying a spearing device to possess and Valid Florida Fishing License.

My 7 year old nephew shoots his very own 6.8mm ar15 at 350+lbs hogs... Then when my 10 year old brother came up he shot a 225lbs dog killer. I agree we need to be careful but teach safety not fear, we have a problem and going under with a sharp stick is the best fix.

Jim-- good idea though based on the gianormous diameter of the shaft. THey should make the tip screw into the shaft--- get on it engineering R & D boys..

Fiber carbon shafts have tremendous strength these days, as the arrows for my hunting bow prove, so I have a hunch someone could achieve this alteration, and create a much safer way to transport the weapon. Might make a great marketing angle too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom