Florida Lionfish Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 7 year old nephew shoots his very own 6.8mm ar15 at 350+lbs hogs... Then when my 10 year old brother came up he shot a 225lbs dog killer. I agree we need to be careful but teach safety not fear, we have a problem and going under with a sharp stick is the best fix.

I'm not sure I understand, I am in no way suggesting kids not be allowed to spearfish. Florida residents under age 16 may do so without purchasing a Florida Fishing License. However anyone ages 16-65 has to purchase a valid Florida a license to spear fish. I do not think there should be an exemption for a single species.

As an aside, the FWC website does not reflect any changes in current regulations, allowing spearing of Lionfish without a fishing license

:hm: nice. The pen body to cover the pointy end is a very good thought.

:hm: With all the arrows my two young hunters and I have I could arm quite a few divers. :hm: Even the ones minus a fletching or two would work.

I would love to bring my old Hawaiian sling with me to Bonaire for sticking lion fish, but they really would not be happy seeing me with such weapon, either on the United flight, or on the island, where spears are a big no-no :no: :idk:

Mako's removable tip kjust got me thinking how easy it would be to add more threads, and reverse the tip for carry/storage

---------- Post Merged at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:30 PM ----------

:hm: nice. The pen body to cover the pointy end is a very good thought.

:hm: With all the arrows my two young hunters and I have I could arm quite a few divers. :hm: Even the ones minus a fletching or two would work.

I would love to bring my old Hawaiian sling with me to Bonaire for sticking lion fish, but they really would not be happy seeing me with such weapon, either on the United flight, or on the island, where spears are a big no-no :no: :idk:

Mako's removable tip kjust got me thinking how easy it would be to add more threads, and reverse the tip for carry/storage

MAKO, I have a question about your lion fish spear that you linked to. Is it possible to reverse the paralyzer tip so that it stores in the end of the spear shaft, for safe travel and carry?

Sorry we can't provide any additional information about the new policy, we were attempting to simply pass on some exciting information as we were made aware of it.

As for the tip, the spear is shipped with yellow plastic cap that fits over the 3-prong tip. It provides some protection. If you were interested in something a little more robust, a 1 inch diameter PVC pipe cap would probably work well, although you might have to get creative with how you secure it over the tip.

Thanks for the questions everyone...

And the wife and I just shelled out for a five year Florida salt water license? Oh well, do you still need a saltwater license along with a lobster tag?

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure this is a good idea. I would be in favor of anyone ages 16-65 carrying a spearing device to possess and Valid Florida Fishing License.

Why? Do you think the state should collect more fees? What is the harm in letting divers help out for free?

Why? Do you think the state should collect more fees? What is the harm in letting divers help out for free?

I'm usually not in favor of forking over one extra dime to the government. However I do believe in a requirement for a fishing license.

1. With this new rules, poachers who target many inshore species when caught would be in violation merely for fishing without a license. Now they just say, "were hunting lionfish."

2. All of the money spent on fishing licenses goes to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) to provide optimum sustained use of Florida's fish and wildlife resources. In addition, each license holder that buys a license, helps the FWC to recover excise taxes from the Federal government, which you spend on items such as fishing tackle, boats, and for motor boat fuel taxes, through the Federal Aid in Sportfish Restoration program. (from the FWC web site)

3. Fisherman, even those who are militantly "catch and release" must have a fishing license just to wet a line. Since the money does go to the FWC, who really do try to protect the resource, it wouldn't hurt for divers to contribute. Unlike fisherman who contribute the lion's share. There fees and registrations go to projects such as mangrove plantings in the Lake Worth Lagoon, Artificial Reefs, Law Enforcement.....

The annual fee for a Saltwater License with a lobster stamp is $18.00 a year. That even entitles the licensee to trap stone crabs. It's money well spent. IMO, every diver should be required to have one.

I'm not sure I understand, I am in no way suggesting kids not be allowed to spearfish. Florida residents under age 16 may do so without purchasing a Florida Fishing License. However anyone ages 16-65 has to purchase a valid Florida a license to spear fish. I do not think there should be an exemption for a single species.

As an aside, the FWC website does not reflect any changes in current regulations, allowing spearing of Lionfish without a fishing license

I was making a correlation between hogs and lionfish, exceptions are made for hogs because they do severe damage to their unnatural habitat without a proper "bigger fish" if you will. Humans have to help the problem they created by hunting down and consuming as many of these destructive species as we can, i feel its my duty as a human.

The more restrictions we put on killing them the lower the kill count, I want to bring my Georgia resident nephew on the boat to murder lions when we go down to key largo without extra money spent just like we go to north fl and shoot hogs. If people are spearing just for lions and have no other fish on the boat I'm fine with it, obviously you shouldn't be able to hook and line "just for lions" because thats impossible but you can target them w a stick.

:koh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom