Florida liveaboard? February 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Considering going to Florida in February. Looking for a 3d/n liveaboard trip for two that isn't going to break the bank. Wife is looking for warm water. Any suggestions/ideas?

How is the diving in Ft. Lauderdale or further north at that time of year? Is it cold? Wife is looking for nice warm water.

Thanks!
nd

I think there is one out of Ft Laud. that docke every night
Its a Fri night to Sunday afternoon type of thing

Considering going to Florida in February. Looking for a 3d/n liveaboard trip for two that isn't going to break the bank. Wife is looking for warm water. Any suggestions/ideas?

How is the diving in Ft. Lauderdale or further north at that time of year? Is it cold? Wife is looking for nice warm water.

Thanks!
nd

Yes, it does get cold. It will get into the 60s, sometimes even cooler, that time of year. While the water and air temperature may be warmer than other parts of the county, you will still get chilled while doing multiple dives and while being topside during your surface interval. If I'm doing a lot of diving, I usually breakout the dry suit.

There's a lot of people here that don't go near the water after Labor Day because they think the dive season is over. So it's all relative...

Define "nice, warm water". Many of us won't dive in February and those that do, wear thick wetsuits and hoods. If you are accustomed to ice diving, you may personally find it to be "nice and warm".

There's a lot of people here that don't go near the water after Labor Day because they think the dive season is over. So it's all relative...
I basically stop diving around Veteran's Day and won't get back in the water until a little before Memorial Day. On the other hand, I've seen people dive in t-shirts and shorts during the winter holidays.

I don't know of any Florida liveaboards per se, but there are liveaboards that will take you to the islands or the Dry Tortugas.

All:

Thanks for the info so far. As for warm water, for me, it's anything above 40F or so. But for the wife, it's more like 75F.

Crap man. I hope we don't have to go to freakin' Mexico to go diving in "warm" water.

Thanks!
nd

I usually go very far south for the winter dives. Cayman, Mexico, Bahamas etc.
I wouldnt recommend a live aboard if you plan on diving in the Lauderdale area. The reef is very close to shore and a 2 tank trip is $50-$75. Get a cheap hotel and jump on a boat for the day of diving. The water COULD be as cold as the mid 60s. that time of year.

Mexico might be cheaper than SE Florida that time of year.

Just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom