Flying after pool session? Can't find any specific info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call DAN, immediately!! You might need the decompression chamber.

Quick, whats 2 times 2.

Who is the president??

What day is it??

I think you have symptoms of DCS.

Just kidding...

Just did the same thing last week. Taught a class on Thursday night and got on a plane Friday morning. I am okay, relatively speaking

edjohnson66:
I am okay, relatively speaking

How many fingers am I holding up?

:D

Blackwood:
^^ I imagine it will. I think any time you submerge most computers beyond 4 feet they'll kick into a 24-hour countdown by default. Never tried it, though.

To the OP: fly. You'll be fine.

I use a Suunto, and FWIW, it rarely goes into a 24 hour countdown anyways. I think the longest no-fly countdown I have seen it give is 18 hours, and the shortest was around 6 hours.

Pool session, I think you'll be just fine, but I doubt you would be on a plane less than 6 hours after you are out of the water, anyways.... :wink:

RJP:
I think I know the answer, but I can't find any specific information on whether/how long you need to wait to fly after a pool dive/session. DM-ing an OW class Thursday nite in the pool, and need to fly on Friday.
Find a copy of the NOAA Ascent to Altitude Table. It will tell you what common sense tells you -- that you are fine to dive immediately after a shallow pool session.

More specifically, you are cleared to ascend immediately to 8,000' altitude (which is the maximum cabin altitude allowed by the FAA) if you are in USN/NOAA repetitive letter groups A, B, or C. D requires a 3-1/2 hour wait.

You will be in repetitive letter group C after 210 minutes at 10', 110 minutes at 15', or 75 minutes at 20'. (Or 300/160/100 minutes at 10'/15'/20' for group D and 3h 28min time before ascent to 8,000').

Charlie Allen

And the Vyper is known for its conservative tables!

FoSheZZie23:
actually yesterday i went on a 39 minute dive that had a max of 20 feet and my computer never kicked into no fly time mode. I have a Suunto Vyper.......

Awesome... same computer I have, good to know.

Back
Top Bottom