Flying with a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't matter what the airline says. They're not doing the inspections. Remove it.

Thank you all for taking the time to post the regulatios and for your advice. I am flying to Canada so will take the TSA instructions as read.

Doesn't matter what the airline says. They're not doing the inspections. Remove it.
Remove what...? :confused:

Thank you all for taking the time to post the regulatios and for your advice. I am flying to Canada so will take the TSA instructions as read.
The good news is that you do not have to deal with TSA. Now see what your UK security says, and Canadian...?

I have a 19. Checked or carry on, valve completely out, have never had a problem. I do as previously mentioned, attach a TSA info sheet to the cylinder, don't know if it's ever helped, it hasn't hurt

I was told it just needed to be empty and the valve fully open to prove there was no air in it. I am not sure the person I was speaking to really knew what they were talking about...

Well, since technically there WILL be some air in the tank... apparently they DON'T know what they are talking about.

:d

Just returned last week from an international trip (originating in USA). Wife and I each carried a 19 with tank band/carry handle/snaps in our carry on, valve removed, tape covering hole. The only issue we ran into was that we had to remove the cylinder from our carry on (much like removing a laptop). I had to laugh, as I watched the thing go through the scanner and they couldn't see inside it any better outside my carry on than they could when it was in it and they never touched the thing or peeled the tape back. Also noticed what a carry on full of regulators, computers, bottom timer, etc. etc. looks like - no way on earth TSA could tell what was in there but I guess I looked honest enough that they didn't bother going through it.

My view is to avoid putting a tank in checked baggage if possible - many carriers expressly state that they charge a significant upcharge for "dive equipment" or that they require tanks to be checked separately for a significant fee (which is odd as I have checked long guns in cases many times and have never had to pay an additional fee).

I have taken a small pony, 13 CF, bottle on many US domestic and international flights Valve is removed. I use a male plastic pipe plug to seal the end. I pull it out of my carry-on and highlight it to the person scanning. I usually remove the pipe plug just before security, but not always. plus it's in a plastic bag for extra protection from dirt, etc. The TSA regs are attached.

Never had a problem. Only once did I get held up for a significant period, 15-20 minutes so they could get a supervisor. But that was many years ago when TSA was just getting started. I reinstall the pipe plug after finishing security.

Remove what...? :confused:

The good news is that you do not have to deal with TSA. Now see what your UK security says, and Canadian...?

Since there doesn't seem to be a more radical way of presenting the tank as available for internal inspection or to guarantee there is no 'pressurised' air inside I am assuming that following TSA rules won't be deterimental. Even if UK and Canadian rules are slightly diferent I can't imagine how they could be any more strignent that the TSA. Thanks again, all, for the advice.

Hi folks. This is an old thread but I have a related question. Are you being charged extra fees for any types of pony bottles? I check AA, Delta and United web sites and they all state that these are not included in the scuba gear allownace and subject to extra charges. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom