Flying with dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmag3

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be flying to the keys in about a week and I would perfer to bring along my own equipment rather than rent. I was wondering what would be the best method for this without worrying the whole flight about what kind of damage the baggage transport guys are doing to my gear. Or is this a bigger headache than its worth - should I just rent?:confused:

Dont rent if you have your own gear! Pack your suit/fins/bc etc in your check in luggage and pack your mask/regs and computer/spg in your carry on! Just inform the TSA guys you have scuba gear in your carry-on.
Have a fun time!!:D

I have only "traveled with dive gear" three times in the last year, but here are my comments / recommendations:

Like Drewpy I say, bring it on! You will be more comfortable with your own gear and you know where all the controls and features are. Besides, you don't want things that have been in other people's mouths!

On a trip to Florida with a buddy, we each brought two huge suitcases, one for scuba gear, and one for way to much unnecessary crap. We rented a minivan, and all the cases had wheels so it was fine.

On a trip to Cozumel traveling alone, I brought my big gear bag, and then had my clothes in a backpack because I had to have everything with me at all times. (When you travel with someone, they can watch your stuff while you visit the restroom, traveling alone, it has to go with you!)

I did a similar thing on a trip alone to New England recently. Again, gear bag and backpack.

I always carry my Regulator(s) and my computer(s) with me in my carry on bag. Those are the most expensive pieces that could most easily "grow legs".

Consider insurance for your gear. DAN, or flight insurance or whatever. (I don't want to get into a flame war about insurance, I am just saying to think about it)

Some people recommend using regular suitcases because scuba gear cases just scream out "I have expensive scuba gear, steal me!". I haven't had any problems, but i know a guy in ABQ that lost everything at the ferry dock in Cozumel.

NOTE: some places will rent fins, and that can save you some weight, but not everyone will do that.

NOTE: check the weight limitations for your airline. Some allow 70 lbs, some only 50 lbs.

my dos centavos, but only because you asked

Wristshot

But I I'll offer a few suggestions:

I strongly suggest taking your own, as not only do you know your own gear, you know when it was serviced. Almost all of my diving is after flying, but I own my own so I can know it and trust it.

There's always a chance that checked bags will be late, so you carry the most important in your carry-on, along with enough clothes for 24 hours, etc. Carrying your own mask is good to ensure you have one that'll fit; even more so with prescription lens. I also carry my reg, computers, camera, oxygen analyzer, and anything else I can to reduce overweigth checked bags.

Knives are okay in checked bags, but NOT IN CARRY-ON. You knew that, but people forget, then lose the knives. I always clean my nails at the airport, then put my pocket knife in the checked bags at the last minute.

If you can spare the weight, pack batteries in checked bags, as you may not find your kind available when you get there. I always take batteries out of lights, to reduce breakage, and to look harmelss on x-ray.

Finally, I carry almost nothing in my pockets, as that slows me down at security; put stuff in a backpack or belt bag that can be thrown on the belt all at once, but then - watch it closely when it's not on your body, espeically outside the U.S. If you want to carry a roll of quarters for quick change needs, unroll them, so they'll look harmless on x-ray, too.

(Said a lot for a guy with little to add, huh? Well, I'm working on that personal problem...)

All part of the adventure...

have fun, don

I used to use Pelican bags but they draw too much atttention now and the TSA goes nuts when they see them...plus if you are going to a diving area...diving tag or not...it says dive gear... steal me..

I went to a hardware store and bought a tupperware like hard plastic container that will just hold my bc and some small items yet fit into my nondescript duffle bag that i check on the airplane.

I totally drain my pony and plastic plug it and put it in the tupperware thing too. Tell TSA its dive gear...sometimes they look and sometimes they dont. Carry on is all the stuff the others said...plus cameras and signal devices...i got another plastic container and put foam in it and cut the foam to fit tight around everything and put that into a back pack that will meet carry on requirements....

Fun aint it???

in a standard carryon suitcase. Eliminates baggage handler abuse and theft.

Regs, BP/W, wetsuit, fins, booties, gauges, mask all go on the plane with me. I check my light, knife, shears, clothes and any other expendables.

Ever since I almost had a $4K liveaboard vacation ruined when I went to Costa Rica and my dive gear went to Martinique, I've been traveling this way.

Going thru airport security has been hassle-free so far.

Why rent when you already own?

I had no trouble with security when I carried my reg in a small laptop computer bag. Worked pretty well in fact.

I had more trouble crossing from Canada in to the US with the immigration guy.

"Where are you going?"
"PC, Florida"
"What's going on down there?"
"Going on a dive trip with a friend"
"Diving, you need a license for that don't you?"
(leaving that one alone)"Certification, yes"
"Let me see it"
Necessitating me to go to the back of the van and drag out my C card and log book, both of which he went thru, out of my luggage. And with that "You're all set" and he sent me onward.

You might well consider having these items handy too on your person.

I still wonder what he might have said if by chance I wasn't certified and was going down to take a course.

Hi wmag,
Just agreeing with what the others have said- "carry on" regs, computers etc. at the very least. (also photo equip, if you have any).
The rest-checked. Then, if a bag gets lost, at least you are using your own reg.

Enjoy the trip,
Mike

Just flew back through Charlotte on USAir from Belize. No problem with regs/computers in carry-on, they didn't even check the carry-on bags, just x-rayed. But TSA openned and inspected my checked suitcase that was full of dive gear only, wet suits, BCD's, fins... They tagged the bag and left paperwork inside to say they openned the checked bag and confiscated my dive knives. Both were just 3" blade blunt tip that we put on our BCD hose. According to TSA web site knives are allowed so have a feeling it is at the whim of the inspector (who don't all know the rules) so be careful. Now have to file a claim and good luck with proving that they were there.

Also be aware that airlines are limiting domestic luggage to 50#'s now and watching it carefully. 70# international.

Kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom