Flying with dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridgenet once bubbled...
They tagged the bag and left paperwork inside to say they openned the checked bag and confiscated my dive knives. Both were just 3" blade blunt tip that we put on our BCD hose. According to TSA web site knives are allowed so have a feeling it is at the whim of the inspector (who don't all know the rules) so be careful. Now have to file a claim and good luck with proving that they were there.

Kev

:fury: There's simply no excuse for that. Knives of any kind have never been prohibited from checked luggage, and they had no right to take those!

If they admitted to taking the knives, you should have support for your claim, and if you have the inspector's ID#, I hope you get him/her fired. That's just basic incompetence and/or theft! :grrr:

You do realize that you paid an extra $10 on your ticket for TSA!! The inspectors where I orignate are in plain sight of customers, and they always tell me I can leave for the gate; I always watch them until they turn the bag back over to the airline!

don :fire:

In terms of the weight limits............

I had all of my gear (pertinent to warm water diving), a shorty and 3 mm in my large pelican box last weekend on USAir and it was only 49 lbs.

Taking the dive knives definitely sucks. They didn't touch my shears when they searched my box.

Also be aware that airlines are limiting domestic luggage to 50#'s now and watching it carefully. 70# international.

Kev

Air Tran allows 70 lbs

We had 1 over (they let it slide) and 2 real close. :)

One other point on scuba branded luggage.......

USAirways (perhaps some others) are adding a $50 charge if you have dive gear. On my last trip to Cozumel several in our group got hit with the charge when we checked in in Charlotte, others didn't. Some disputed their credit card bill when it came; some didn't. The agent said it was for the expensive gear inside, but when asked if the charge included some insurance, the agent said no.

Moral of the story: if your bag screams "I'm a diver," be prepared to pay a little extra.

.............I have ditched my Mares "Just Add Water" roller bag.

Todd

TDunbar once bubbled...

USAirways (perhaps some others) are adding a $50 charge if you have dive gear. On my last trip to Cozumel several in our group got hit with the charge when we checked in in Charlotte, others didn't. Some disputed their credit card bill when it came; some didn't. The agent said it was for the expensive gear inside, but when asked if the charge included some insurance, the agent said no.

Todd

But she was flying U.S.Air out of Charlotte, too?! What is going on up yonder? I know that airlines want more money, and who knows about these new federalies, but this is absrud, too. There's no reason to charge more for dive gear, but - when I checked their web site, look what I found!!

"Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge.

I've never been exposed to U.S.AIR, but now I have good reason to avoid them!

:grrr: don

I agree with what the others have said. I pack all my gear in a regular unmarked suitcase. The only itms I carry are my computer, watch, and back up light (I just like having a light available). I was questioned once in Puerto Rico about the computer because the TSA agent never saw one before and wasn't sure if they were allowed. What I do do is make a complete list of everything in the bag just in case it doesn't show up at the airport. I did have that happen to me twice (once with my dive gear and once with my clothes), but they showed up at my hotel several hours later. I also put in an 8X11 sheet of paper with my name, address, and hotel.

Dandydon makes a great point about stuff in your pockets. When I travel I wear a hip bag and put everything in that. I'm one of those guys that have all sorts of things with them. The hip bag allows me just to take off that item and put it on the belt instead of spending 30 minutes emptying my pockets.

Bridgenet, the TSA agents should have never taken your knives. As long as it is sheathed and in the checked bags, it's allowed. In fact, as long as you have this weapon legally, a handgun and long gun, as long as they are unloaded, can be carried in your checked luggage.

Cyklon_300 experience with the live aboard is one I never thought about. If your heading to a boat, I guess you really have to be concerned if your luggage is late.

One other thing, a friend of mine who works for FedX says he has some customers who ship there gear. It's insured and waiting there for them.

Have a good time

Bill :) :)

I called U.S.Airlines this morning - 800-428-4322, Option 4 for International travel, then requested a Supervisor, to discuss two issues that came up on this thread....

Just flew back through Charlotte on USAir from Belize. No problem with regs/computers in carry-on, they didn't even check the carry-on bags, just x-rayed. But TSA openned and inspected my checked suitcase that was full of dive gear only, wet suits, BCD's, fins... They tagged the bag and left paperwork inside to say they openned the checked bag and confiscated my dive knives. Both were just 3" blade blunt tip that we put on our BCD hose. According to TSA web site knives are allowed so have a feeling it is at the whim of the inspector (who don't all know the rules) so be careful. Now have to file a claim and good luck with proving that they were there.

I asked the U.S. Sup about this, and she totally supported my previous response...

dandydon once bubbled...
:fury: There's simply no excuse for that. Knives of any kind have never been prohibited from checked luggage, and they had no right to take those!

If they admitted to taking the knives, you should have support for your claim, and if you have the inspector's ID#, I hope you get him/her fired. That's just basic incompetence and/or theft! :grrr:

You do realize that you paid an extra $10 on your ticket for TSA!! The inspectors are often in plain sight of customers, and they always tell me I can leave for the gate; I always watch them until they turn the bag back over to the airline!

T.S.A's phone number is 866-289-9673, 8am to 5pm Eastern Weekdays. I hope Bridgenet follows up, insisting on the return of the knives, or replacement value. Give them Divers Direct's web site and point out that Oceanic Titatium knives are $100 plus shipping. Since the TSA idiot stole your knives, it's his responsibility to return them or prove they're worth less than that.

Then I asked her about TDunbard's report about her gate agents charging extra on Scuba Gear...

TDunbar once bubbled...

She consulted the Charlotte desk by phone and confirmed that the U.S. agent should not have charged extra for Scuba gear packed inside bags that met their rules and policies for linear deminsions and weight, and that anyone so charged should file complaints. The problem seems to lie in their vague polices as published in their web site: :upset:

"Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge." Flights to the Caymans are exempt from this, by the way.

I hope that you U.S.Air Frequent Flyers will object tothe airlines Consumer Affairs that the phrase is not only redundant but open to interpretation of the agent. A surfboard, bicycle or Scuba gear that fits inside an otherwise allowed bag should not be charged extra; of course, the surfboard, bicycle or Scuba gear that does not fit within exisiting paramaters can be charged extra under other parts of their policy, so these do not need to be covered in the vague way. Only pets need to be covered in that statement. :fire:

And I worry that if you U.S.Air flyers put up with this, other airlines hungry for income will see it as a way to boost revenue.

thanks, don

My Pelican SCREAMS diving with all of it's stickers (and it was searched in Charlotte) and I had no problems on US Airways whatsoever, in terms of my gear (they sucked in other departments).

If I was a pretty as you are, Melanie, they probably wouldn't have charged me either.............. Hope you're getting free upgrades to 1st class too!

Todd

Back
Top Bottom