Focusing issues with the C-7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just obtained an Olympus C-7070 after using the C-5060 for a number of years. Prior to obtaining the C-7070 I understood that while there are some differences between the 2 models there are still many similarities; one of which is focusing. From several items I have read the 5060 and 7070 use the same focusing mechanism. However, at this point it appears (to me) there is a difference between the 2 models in this area.

With the 5060 the focusing mechanism cycles once and the picture is in focus in the view screen. However, with the 7070 the focus cycles through twice, the first time the view is in focus, but the focus mechanism cycles through again. After the 2nd focus cycle the picture may be in focus and other times it is not in focus. This is driving me crazy for several reasons:

1. Running through 2 focus cycles takes extra time and the photo can be lost
  2. I am not sure which of the 2nd focus cycles will be in focus I lose several pictures due to beign out of focus

In addition, I am encoutering problems focusing with the close up lens. When I get in close the camera is not able to focus. I have tried both AF and macro focus methods. I am able to focus if I stay back but not up close.

I have not experienced any of the above issues witht the 5060.

Any thoughts?

Jim G

I still have both cameras and the problems I have had with poor focusing have all been related to poor natural light or with subjects that have poor contrast wrt the background and a combination of both. It drives me nuts too.

I use triple stacked macro lenses from time to time and manage to get in focus images but not always on the first attempt. What I usually do with close up lenses is to slowly push the camera towards the subject until it appears to be in focus and then do the 1/2 press to get focus. I have found that setting the "zoom" to around 80% of maximum works best when using add on lenses. Adding a focus light (Fisheye halogen) has made a whole world of difference in assisting the cameras focusing ability.

Here is an interesting article on how autofocus works http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

Andy

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the same focus probelm with the C-5060 as well or just the C-7070? I have had no problem with the 5060. I have even tried focusing on a magazine cover with both and the 5060 does a better job. It will complete one focus cycle and be in focus. The 7070 will do two focus cycles and be out of focus. What I do not understand with the 7070 is the subject will be in focus after the first focus cycle, but it will continue with the second focus cycle and be out of focus when completed.

Jim G

I've noticed the same issue with the autofocus in Super Macro on my SP-350. In macro, it focuses in fine the first time. Closer than 8 inches, the first focus is nice, but it keeps going till it's out of focus. I think maybe the lens housing is interfering with the autofocus light in supermacro, causing the focus to be on the nearest object that the focus sensor catches. I don't understand at all why it focuses perfectly and then blurs after I hit the shoot button. I thought maybe I was moving the camera but I haven't had the same issue using manual focus, so I've started trying that on really close shots and framing them with two or three shots with about 1/2" range between them. I fully understand your frustration. I've had some good results by zooming some and backing the camera off a bit but not consistently.

I will have to try the manual focus, but that may be difficult with the surge. I will try several shots at different focal lengths.

Jim

Jim

I haven't used my 5060 U/W since I bought the 7070 over a year and a half ago so I would be lying if I said I could tell the difference. But yes, the 7070 does make a few "passes" over the subject and then sometimes settles for something that is out of focus despite having "had" focus. It annoys the living cr*p out of me.

Low light is definitely the problem . I have a rapala bass lure (green, yellow and orange with vertical black stripes) that I use as a test model. Under a tungsten light bulb the camera battles to find focus. If I leave the lure in the same position and go back to take a picture of it in daylight conditions the camera gets perfect focus first time.

Once again the focus light has mostly resolved the issuse.

I also dive in surgy conditions and manual focus is trying at the best of times. It's a matter of waiting for the break between sets and then going for the shot - no time to mess around with MF.

I will test the 5060 on my "model" - just never had reason to do it till now , but now you've got me interested . Gimme a coupla days , had a couple of beers too many to be messing around with cameras right now :D

And why is my signature cut off all of a sardine ? Did someone change the rules and not tell me ? Have I been penalised for misconduct ?

I use manual focus with my 8080m stilltrying to perfect close shots

Thanks.

I look forward to here what you have to say with regards to the 5060.

Jim G

OK , I played around a little . I set up my "fish" and took a few photos. This was in a room lit only by a tungsten bulb in a lampshade - fairly dark. Cameras set to macro , 1/125 , ISO 80, 110mm focal length .

The 5060 set at f/8.0 was fairly quick to focus - distance to subject around 20cm.

Did the same with the 7070 set to f/11.0 - camera battles with focus. Changed to f8.0 and managed to get focus, although it seemed to take a little longer.Remember f/8.0 let's in twice as much light as f/11. Could this be the problem in your case ?

At f/4.8 both cameras coped with the situation, but with much hunting for focus.The 5060 was perhaps a little quicker.

This is all very unscientific - I will add that in really dirty water (20 ft viz) at 30m it is so dark and green that there is so little contrast between subject and background that any camera would battle with focus.Try adding more light when trying your experiment with the magazine cover and see if there is a difference.

I did a Red Sea trip recently and in clean water focus wasn't an issue - plenty of natural light. I don't know what sort of conditions you are diving in.

Back
Top Bottom