For Jennifer and others who asked for addresses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sorry this took me so long to get the names.

Bor-Bor is the Nigerian orphan I told you about, JB says he has not gotten any mail. The other two are Americans, one was born in 1988! (Not recieving mail)
1) CPL Bor-Bor
2) LCPL Coker
3) PFC Eifenrieh

1stBn 12thMar CBty
Unit 44120
FPO AP 96607-4120

collage-13.jpg

hmm..... I'm not trying to spoil the fun or discourage supporting our troops, but for security purposes, should we be listing their names, ranks, possible locations, addresses on internet message boards?

This is usually discouraged for security purposes.

I'll check

JB gave me the names knowing the purpose, he is the CO.

But...how about I take them down, and people that asked can PM me?

The pics have been published, the photog gave them to JB for his use.

Mike, aren't the officers all named on battalion/public websites? I think if you google their unit, there is a list.

It's been in the paper where the unit is and what they are tasked with...so I am interested to see if anybody knows.

catherine96821:
I'll check

JB gave me the names knowing the purpose.

But...how about I take them down, and people that asked can PM me?

Oh I'm not the authority on deciding that or telling you what to do... but I just know that working on Military bases that they are going to greater extents to safeguard overseas troop locations, etc. (I was just trying give a helpfull suggestion).

Here's some information I found that might be usefull to "why".

from http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aatroopmail.htm
The US Postal Service has announced that APO ZIP codes for US military units in Kuwait and countries near the Iraq war zone will be made available only to family members and close friends of deployed soldiers. Postal officials stated that the limitation had been imposed due to anthrax and other terrorist threats.

Programs that allowed the general public to send mail addressed to "Any Service Member" were cancelled more than a year ago. While these programs were popular with the public during Desert Storm and other operations, officials said security concerns and transportation constraints with military mail led to their cancellation. Web sites such as http://anyservicemember.navy.mil, and Army Knowledge Online email have been suggested as alternate means to contact soldiers

If you do sent a "care package", to someone you know, etc... here are a few helpful suggestions.

1.) vaccum seal anything with food or chemicals in it, especially if in the same package (or send in seperate package). Mom's homemade cookies sitting in a box in 125 degree heat with melted deodorant just doesn't taste the same anymore

2.) Don't send any pork products (pork jerky, pork skin rhines, etc). Muslim countries don't allow it with their customs. most don't allow alcohol to be sent either.

3.) Their religous customs also don't allow magazines pictures of anybody scantly clad. (or any pictures... )

Items they need (from the packages list we sent at work)
* Deodorant
* toothpaste and brush
* wet wipes
* socks
* any reading material
* snacks, candy, granola bars, etc. (that won't melt in heat).
* batteries (AA, AAA, etc)
* prepaid phone cards (that work in the country you're sending to)
* sun block
* vaccum seal all food items or anything that can leak.
* small kids toys. (soldiers give these to kids).

anyway.. hope that helps some.

Mike, aren't the officers all named on battalion/public websites? I think if you google their unit, there is a list.

Usually the Commanding officer, the XO, and typically the senior enlisted man is listed on the company website. This is pretty typical with any unit i"ve seen.

No, I appreciate the suggestion. I did doublecheck and he said it was okay, but I think he might be unaware of the "any soldier" link you posted.

officials said security concerns and transportation constraints
...they don't want "too much" mail is how I read that.

(I asked him about the pork, last month, because he wanted a honeybaked ham, and he laughed, he said that they eat all kinds of pork over there) I get the impression there is quite a disconnect with reality and some of the things we are told to do/not do.

I'll post the addresses and leave off naming the city in Al Anbar, how does that sound?

Alright!! Thanks Catherine. Now we just need two other folks to help!!

I'll take PFC Eifenrieh...

I will take Bor-Bor.

I love Bor-Bor.

I'd take them all if I could...:sad:

I'll be sure to get something together this weekend and get it sent off!! I hate it that they haven't gotten anything.

I can't believe no one else has jumped in here....come on people!!!!

It's okay...they have JB.

they shouldn't get greedy

Other folks are doing adopt a soldier which is good cause those guys have to stay 15 months are something ridiculous, this team is just 7 months.

here is a cute one

IMG_0392.jpg

Catherine... I send out care packages all the time. If he comes up with more names, send them to me and I'll add them to the list.

Wait... I was born in 88!! Theres nothing wrong with that!! :D :D :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom