For those who carry Solo-diver certification card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't work around here. None of the operators will allow you to solo dive, even if you have the solo dive cert.

They tell me it's because of their insurance policy, which does not allow it.

The Divemaster or whomever is in charge "buddies you up" on the boat on the way out with another solo diver if you show up without a dive buddy.
I just love insurance companies as they have always been nice to me and given me the benefit of the doubt...………………
Wonder how they respond when an assigned instabuddy causes injury or death to his/her buddy. Oh well, I'm sure they play the percentages and have it all figured out.

I've never needed one. I usually go with the "don't tell don't ask " methodology. I got the card to make the other half feel more comfortable about it.

The Divemaster or whomever is in charge "buddies you up" on the boat on the way out with another solo diver if you show up without a dive buddy.

What happens if you get separated? What does the dive op do?

I have been known to drop a dive knife and had to go retrieve it while my buddy made it back on the boat - of course I made sure my dive buddy knew the story before we splashed... So far I have never been asked to sit out a dive.

What happens if you get separated? What does the dive op do?

Hi BRD,

I got popped on one boat. It was in Miami. A lady who was a customer of the dive op (like me) ratted me out. The next dive, a general scolding was given. It was directed at me, but not given in a direct manner. The finger-of-shame was being whipped about wildly.

It was a benign dive on some barges and a tugboat at about 40 feet.

markm

It was a benign dive on some barges and a tugboat at about 40 feet.

Good point - in NJ 20 foot viz is considered really good - so generally no one cares or sees. In 3 foot viz you cant see your own fins when you dive - so we get a lot of leeway. The captains figure if you are hunting lobster or spearfishing - you go in as 2 and come out when you hit your limit or your air is done...

I guess my whole point is this - we have a lot of discussions around Solo. If you are not solo diving already - boat or shore - you may not be ready for it... So if you ask - chances are they will tell you no. If you have the experience chances are it will show and they will let you do your own thing. All else fails you have Plan B - I dropped a knife, I was not sure where it was and I had to retrieve it... But in 80 foot viz that one may not fly... lol

Olympus dive center in Moorehead city. My son was not feeling up to a second dive. I was not crazy about the available choice of insta-buddies so I asked Captain George (RIP) if I could dive by myself. He said "show me a card" which I just happened to have on me.

Doesn't work around here. None of the operators will allow you to solo dive, even if you have the solo dive cert.

They tell me it's because of their insurance policy, which does not allow it.

I've been able to solo with several boats out of Morehead, both OC and CCR.

It is mandatory on the Explorer Ventures boats that offer solo diving. I used it on T&C II and CX II. That said, when diving the St. Lawrence River, where the viz is limited on a good day, most of us are either on doubles or slinging a 40 pony as buddy pairs become separated on a regular basis. But it is through experience and sound planning - rather than a formal certification - that we are comfortable in these types of conditions and able to deal with the usual hiccoughs and surprises.

Most of the time when I’m diving solo I look around and there’s nobody there to show my Solo Card to anyhow so I just go diving.

It’s a conundrum.

Then you need to also get your Self-Approving-Self-Reliant-Diver certification card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom