Force Fins - my experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lloyd De Jongh

Registered
Reaction score
Dubai, UAE. Originally from Cape Town, South Afric
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

I made a decision to buy and use Force Fins after diving in what I believe are affectionately called "planks". I received great customer service from the company when making enquiries and was pleased with the referral they gave me to the store where I ultimately purchased a pair of black FF Pros.

I have a review posted on the LeisurePro web site (see below) relating my views of the FF Pro - which was very positive. I had received many competing recommendations from diving instructors and other divers while I was selecting gear for purchase, however I felt there was something missing, the views I was hearing were all thinking-in-the-box, stock answers. I failed to see the difference in the products recommended to me, except maybe the colours and stripes. Everyone said the same thing, and somebody wise once said: "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - General Patton

When selecting my Wilderness Search and Rescue gear some time ago I was extremely finicky, I tried different gear and read every review I could find. Put bluntly, my life and those of others literally depended on it. Since fins are so controversial and so necessary - and can make or break a dive experience, I decided once again to do research and get facts, not opinions masquerading as fact.

The views and factual content presented on the FF web site ultimately won the day. Scuba Lab's reviews of fins were great (and I have relied on many of their reviews for other gear decisions), however they were working within the same box as everyone else. As with all paradigms, it may take a while before shift happens in the fin world.

I bought FFs and I can only see myself diving in them, despite the funny looks I get :wink:

The other factors that play a role are the satisfaction and sense of loyalty people have with FF - without being a rabid fan of a product, the views expressed have been honest professional or experienced feedback or from people who are clearly highly discerning about their gear.

I recommend these to everyone now, and look forward to learning more from the divers on this forum.

Regards

Lloyd De Jongh - PADI OW recreational diver

My LP review:

Compared to normal plank fins these are excellent gear. I had less of a struggle against currents, where I used a lot of effort before. Getting back to the boat was easier and quicker, and I had less trouble keeping up with a much more experienced military dive instructor (using Twin Jets) than before. I paddled almost casually, and stayed with him. I wasn't out of breath like I might have been before, and a quick thrust and your speed is up.

Excellent fins, and they even fit into a small backpack comfortably.

I'll recommend them and buy them again

I have been doing similar research and favoring giving them a go. They are not distributed by anyone in Australia to my knowledge so I have not been able to try before I buy.

So it looks like I'll do some ebaying tonight and top up my credit card.

PS. You better be right:D

Hi there

Having had less than favourable experiences with other fins I was already keen to look at alternatives, and the fins do not disappoint. I bought them from LeisurePro in New York, and even received a further discount - and Force Fin themselves recommended the store to me.

I recommend the product.

Safe diving

Regards

Lloyd

I think you made the right choice.
I am a Test Diver for Force Fins[#1} and I can't think of any better product in Diving!
I just got back from Belize with the owners of Force Fins and I dived with about 4 pair that are not on the market yet and loved them. Even my Wife and Brother in Law use them. You won't go wrong with them at all and I live in Alaska and dive with them at least twice a week and would not use anything else. Now go dive and enjoy!

I am about to undergo ankle surgery (torn Achilles) and I am looking at these with interest. Hal Watts wants me to come test a few pair over at the Grotto. IF I can make it down the steps! :D

If you look at Hal's Agency PSAI and read their drysuit manual there are many pictures of Force Fins. Hal and Bob are two class Guys.

I recommend these to everyone now, and look forward to learning more from the divers on this forum.

=======================================

I'm right there with you ...

Have been diving since 1971. Started with USD Rocket Fins. Went from there to Mares Power Planas. Then it was the USD Blades. Came full circle and had gone back to my Rockets when I started reading about Force Fins. Like you ...what I heard mostly was negative comments from people who HADN'T used them.

Long story short ...2 years ago I decided to buy a pair of Force Fins. I'll never dive with anything else.

Now granted, I do only recreational diving and it is all tropical in nature. So, I really can't comment on the use of Force Fins outside of that realm. But for me at least, they deliver all the performance I need without the length and stiffness of a long (or short) stiff bladed fin.

I recently bought my 31 year old daughter a pair of PINK Force Fins (yes, she's a "girly-girl"). She's been diving since she was 12 and had always used Tusa fins. She strapped on the Force Fins and was in nirvana.

'Nuff said. They're probably not for everyone and every application but I think they tend to get a bad rap because they look "different". I say "Try em ...you might like em"

I am about to undergo ankle surgery (torn Achilles) and I am looking at these with interest. Hal Watts wants me to come test a few pair over at the Grotto. IF I can make it down the steps! :D

Hi NetDoc

I wish you a speedy recovery after your surgery. Let us know about your experience with FFs. It's good to have a forum to talk about FFs and diving, here I just get the weird "What are those" looks :wink:

Hi uncleavi. Thanks for saying hi. I haven't had a chance to do any cold water diving, but when I fly home in a couple of months I'll do a few dives at water temps of +/- 50F, 10-14C. I envy you your chance to dive with Bob Evans' new Force Fin designs :wink: From all I've read online he seems to be a man with vision.

ordered a pair pros today. Should arrive in a week.

I'm right there with you ...

Have been diving since 1971. ... Like you ...what I heard mostly was negative comments from people who HADN'T used them.

Long story short ...2 years ago I decided to buy a pair of Force Fins. I'll never dive with anything else. Now granted, I do only recreational diving and it is all tropical in nature. ... but I think they tend to get a bad rap because they look "different". I say "Try em ...you might like em"

Hey 'slogger

You've been doing this for a while, so thanks for the feedback. I have heard comments to the effect of "They look odd, and different to our fins, therefore they can't work". Those are not the most scientific of views, and the peer pressure aspect has been something to deal with, but my last three dives I had to slow down a lot and wait.

My DM/instructor is ex-military, and a strong swimmer. I was the only one to keep up out of 7 other divers on one of our dives, which I know surprised him.

I'm doing my diving in the warm Indian Ocean, near Oman. Soon I'll do a few dives on the Persian Gulf coast, near Dubai. The water out here rivals tropical water for warmth, though sometimes the clarity leaves something to be desired.

I have been doing the same to people, telling them to "walk a mile" in these "shoes" first :wink:, but as they get smaller in the rear view mirror or get back to the boat out of breath, that tells its own story :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom