Forgive Me.....I Forgot!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, what do "you all" (the CORRECT way to say it) think about mask on the BACK of your head?
It's a tad harder to clear it that ways. But y'all nawtherners er goin' ta do it any ways ya want to. :D

As for wearing it on your fore head BEFORE a beach dive? Ask my Ducks about that one. We almost changed our slogan from "Got Water?" to "Got Mask?" over this. :D Actually, the current slogan is now "Shake your tail feather".

"So, what do "you all" (the CORRECT way to say it) think about mask on the BACK of your head?"

I couldn't care less where anyone puts their mask. I, personally, wouldn't want the oils from my hair on my face plate. I have seen lots of people do this, but never understood the point.

""you all" (the CORRECT way to say it)"

Depends on where y'all grew up.

Kat,

That's its purpose. A good friend found it for me.

I often will take off my fins, while stiff arming the bottom rung, slip the straps over my wrist then take off my mask and put it in my foot pocket. When I exit the water, my mask is not in sight. I've gotten some strange looks from DMs, but never had one say a word about it.

Walter:
I couldn't care less where anyone puts their mask. I, personally, wouldn't want the oils from my hair on my face plate. I have seen lots of people do this, but never understood the point.

No hair, no oils... :wink:

Walter:
I often will take off my fins, while stiff arming the bottom rung, slip the straps over my wrist then take off my mask and put it in my foot pocket. When I exit the water, my mask is not in sight. I've gotten some strange looks from DMs, but never had one say a word about it.

Coming up the ladder, my guess is you could be naked and no one is going to assume missing equipment is a sign of distress... although I'm sure you'd get some interesting questions... :eek:gle:

Funny, Pete, but a poor analogy. The oils from the hair on the back of my head would make a mess of my mask.

You know,

I used to pull my mask off when I was on the surface ALL of the time. A couple of things I do differently have changed that.

1) Minimal tension to hold the mask in place. Most new divers wear their masks way too tightly which is uncomfortable in the long run and usually caused more leaks.

2) Realised that any anti-fogging that I have done is ruined by continually getting the inside of the mask wet. The inside stays drier on my face.

3) I took great care in choosing the right mask for me. Most sales people cram the mask to your face and tell you to suck it in. If the seal holds, they tell you it fits. WRONG. You should look straight up and let only the weight of the mask press onto your face and then inhale gently with your nose. Don't touch the mask while trying this. Now smile. Keep trying until you get one that works.

4) I stay a "diver" until I am on the boat. This includes mask on my face, reg in my mouth and fins looped over each arm. If I have to drop back in, all I have to do is put my fins back on. This is important to me since I dive around so many novices.

DWJ:
I did my open water certs with a shop that was DIR. They drilled into us that the mask, when not on our face was to be worn backwards. Wearing on our foreheads was a sign of distress. They did yell at us if we forgot and just slid the mask up.
Well that settles it!
If I can get a DIR yell out of it I'm wearing my mask on my forehead forever, no matter how many beers it costs!
E.

Mr Mares:
Please note I did say "Some people"

I'm pretty certain there are ref's. to this in the current PADI OW course as well, may be wrong. And i hate to think how many times I've heard, instructors, DM's and skippers say that it's a sign of trouble.

This mask on the forehead thing gets way overdone IMO. To my knowledge, nowhere in the PADI literature i have, does it say that a mask on the forehead is a sign of panic. Throughout their courses it does say, in several places, that a mask on a forehead may be a sign of panic.

In other words, if you see a mask on a forehead, you may want to start paying more attention to that diver and take further steps to determine if they are having a problem. No where does PADI literature ever say that a mask on the forehead, by itself, means a diver is having a problem.

I'm with others on here who say putting your mask on your forehead is a good way to lose a mask. Been there, done that, bought the new mask because of it. That is the only reason i recommend not doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom