Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am guessing they made a dash for nearby land/island and then got split up.

Not a good idea in the circumstances.

It's never a good idea if you're not a swimmer.

And if you are, it's hard to gauge the distances and current speeds unless you're really close to shore. If you're drifting past "a nearby island", it's probably too late to swim for it.

It's never a good idea if you're not a swimmer.

And if you are, it's hard to gauge the distances and current speeds unless you're really close to shore. If you're drifting past "a nearby island", it's probably too late to swim for it.

Agree...which is probably why a more experienced, season dive master/instructor would have kept them together after making an assessment of the situation/currents etc.

Anyways, what's done is done and can't be undone now.

Just hoping for good news today.

Out in open sea under this kind of heat/sun without drinking water and exposure to the hot sun for more than 48 hours is not good in open sea. Hoping the adult male has kept the other 2 close together and they are found safe today.

One report states that the instructor tried to swim to a nearby island for help and got separated.

18 boats and 2 helicopters are apparently involved in the search. Hoping for some good news today.

Yes, hoping for good news too today. Let's hope.

I never understood the Malaysian search and rescue protocol for starting search operations at 7.00am given the sun sets at 6.00pm. That lost hour is crucial for a day light search.

Every daylight hour as they say, counts.

Just saying.

Yes, hoping for good news too today. Let's hope.

I never understood the Malaysian search and rescue protocol for starting search operations at 7.00am given the sun sets at 6.00pm. That lost hour is crucial for a day light search.

Every daylight hour as they say, counts.

Just saying.
I remember the search for the missing solo female diver in Kuching last yr. No urgency none whatsoever.
Hoping for different outcome this time.

I remember the search for the missing solo female diver in Kuching last yr. No urgency none whatsoever.

Off the record, I thought they botched that search operation but....it is what it is.

Surprised they have not asked Singapore for assistance as Singapore is quite good at search and rescue operations and have the additional air and sea for the search.

The more assets, the greater the % of a successful rescue.

Just saying.

Off the record, I thought they botched that search operation but....it is what it is.

Surprised they have not asked Singapore for assistance as Singapore is quite good at search and rescue operations and have the additional air and sea for the search.

The more assets, the greater the % of a successful rescue.

Just saying.
Too embarrassed!!
Could be in the Indonesian territory by now if the current is right.

Too embarrassed to say the least.

Arrogance and a degree of national pride that they can do it on their own. Its typical Malaysian attitudes by the authorities in these circumstances which isn't surprising.

I hope I am wrong in that they have already asked Singapore for assistance.

Sunup is at 7:10 so I guess they start then. What does sunset have to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom