Freaking out over giant stride...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OOOH. So glad I can actually help someone here.
I too was apprehensive of giant stride entries. But... you gotta do 'em, and I just bit the bullet and did it. When I popped up, I thought "not that bad."
Then I had to do back roll. I don't even like walking backwards much less falling into the water backwards. Again, just bit the bullet and did it,popped up, and giggled and said "piece of cake." All the experienced divers in the pool for an advanced class laughed!!!
Removing my mask in my open water cold cert dive petrified me, but I practiced and visualized and did it!!!!!
Like someone said on these threads... as long as you can breathe... you'll be fine. Keep telling yourself that!
Angela

scubanimal:
I read somewhere that 90% of pilots in are uncomfortable with heights, flying however allows a method of conquering.

Not to hijack this thread, but when I was flying my ultralight, there was nothing between me and the sky, except for a seatbelt/harness. I felt totally safe, zipping up to 1000-2000'. At the back of my property, there were a bunch of trees that I had to cut honeysuckle and blackberry vines out of, and being 20' off the ground on a limb was... terrifying! Ironic....

Fish_Whisperer:
Not to hijack this thread, but when I was flying my ultralight, there was nothing between me and the sky, except for a seatbelt/harness. I felt totally safe, zipping up to 1000-2000'. At the back of my property, there were a bunch of trees that I had to cut honeysuckle and blackberry vines out of, and being 20' off the ground on a limb was... terrifying! Ironic....

The thought of you with a chainsaw would terrify me too! :D

Hee!

I have been told I do a bit of a 'split' when stepping off the boat. Kind of like you see ice skaters jump up in the air and do. I dunno why - it's just fun.

Try to make a game out of it, is my advice. But, worst case, climb down the ladder if it makes you feel better (and if the boat isn't jerking in the waves too much.)

Just go for it! It won't be as bad as you think and after a couple, it'll seem like a piece of cake. I know, easier said than done, but with some patience and practice, you'll get the hang of it!

PICT4799.jpg

HighPressure:
Is there someone out there, that has had this issue and is now completely competent? I live in fear of seeing myself crawling off the boat into the water to do my dives....

Any suggestions?

I perfectly understand how you feel coz I also have the fear of heights and until now i can't do the stride...What i do though is a back entry from the boat...atleast I won't see it...until now, i still couln't conquer my fear and i don't know when...meantime, the back entry works for me...:D

-lai-

Lol i freak all the time over a giant stride. i guess i don't like it becuse it's like jumping of a building. if your afraid of hight's a giant stride isen't for you nor for me.

PaulChristenson:
Watch out for the first step...:D

lol my dad told me to watch that first step(diving off boat) and i told him don't worry i'm not going to slip and u know what happend i ended up face first in the water whale doing a giant stride of the back of the boat.

LOL, take edvice from sombody if they give it to u.

Tridant,That hurt too:11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom