Free fills at the Fire Dept????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
-273 degrees kelvin must be pretty cold. :eyebrow:

Darn near absolute zero I reckon!

I use it to explain the shrinkage...

D.S.D.

Some fire departments don't have compressors, they buy breathing air in large cylinders from commercial air products companies like Airco or Praxair. That is what my company did for our scba's. Less hassel than having to maintain a compressor. Every breathing air cylinder we received was checked for O2 and CO. Air from these companies is blended with pure dry liquid O2 and N2, it does not come from an air compressor.

jonnythan:
Quite a bit below it I reckon :wink:

I think somebody either did a typo or is blowing BIG smoke. Zero kelvin is as cold as they go.

The Kelvin temperature scale (K) was developed by Lord Kelvin in the mid 1800s. The zero point of this scale is equivalent to -273.16 °C on the Celsius scale. This zero point is considered the lowest possible temperature of anything in the universe. Therefore, the Kelvin scale is also known as the "absolute temperature scale". At the freezing point of water, the temperature of the Kelvin scale reads 273 K. At the boiling point of water, it reads 373 K.

I took some of the advice given and I spoke with the company that installed and maintains the compressor. He advised me that the air is better than E quality and SCUBA quality indeed. He also advised that they test the air quality ever 3 months and service the compressor every 6 months. I got my 1st air fill today and will be trying it out on Friday!!! Thanks for the help guys.

We sell compressors to the Fire and Dive markets. My experience is that the Fire departments take very good care of their compressors and regularly test the air quality. Most all Fire departments will have a service contract to have their system proffesionally maintained, Dive Shops tend to do their own service.
Fire Departments tend to buy better equipment and do not cut corners on cost.
Many Dive shops are small independent and simply can not afford the best equipment, the money is just not there.
PADI and some states are getting involved so the Dive shops are improving the air quality. Nitrox mixing has increased air quality awareness and that has helped. Still I would definatly use the Fire Department air if it is available. Curly

Fire Departments have to abide by OSHA regulations on their compressors to fill the SCBA tanks that fire fighters use to breath air from. The air is the same as what you get from your LDS. Many dive rescue teams use the local fire departments to fill their tanks. My department charges $1.00 per cylinder for the members of the department. That goes towards the mantainence of the compressor.

I know of many fire departments don't fill tanks for people because of the increased liability to the fire department.

As for pressure, most cascade systems (the compressors) have adjustable pressures for filling different tanks. SCBA bottles start around 2000 psi and go up to 4500 psi.

Hope this helps.

I have been filling at the fire station and loving it. My only concern is that they have but one adapter fron scba to scuba and I would really like one of my own. I have found them for sale at a few websites but they are 70 bucks. Anyone out there know where I could get one at a little more reasonable price?
Thanks for your help.

Even if they are free, I hope you give the FD some type of donation to at least help maintain their equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom