Free Speech and Moderation: from Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point taken and understood!

But if I may, can I ask you a somewhat rhetorical question please?

If I sent you, or any mod / site support a PM question (not just a user, but a mod/site support) off-forum and you didn't answer say within between 24 to 48 hours, would you think that was being patient enough before sending a follow up to you/him asking if he got it / was going to reply?

This has not happened here (to me), but just wondering what your interpretation, as describe in my above scenarios is / would be? That is, this a genuine question - not a 'come on' - re what a mod would perceive in the instance described as 'patient'; but no need for a long winded reply or time consuming explanation by an means.

TIA
It totally depends on the situation. If I need time to think about it, I have sent a reply to that effect. If the question were silly and I need to decide how to reply to it I may delay until I come up with a response that is respectful. If I'm snowed under, I may hand it off to my brother from a different mother but that hasn't happened yet. That's if I don't put said brother (@RainPilot ) on ignore first.

Who's this "we" that you're speaking of, kemosabe?

Well Storker, you are correct.

I simply should have said: I do not want to ban Wookie.

Everyone has their vote. I am only one.

I am not sure I understand the point of your question, but hopefully you will find an answer in what follow

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Mods are not employees of ScubaBoard. We are not paid to do it. We do not have regular hours. We are just volunteers

Yes, I believe I acknowledged that and praised you mods for your ''free' input and diligent 'work' in a previous post. And will again now in case you missed.

It would be perfectly reasonable for you to send a second message asking if I got the first if you thought a normally reasonable about of time had passed for my response. I would not be at all concerned about your sending me that second message.

Thanks, that's what I thought / would have assumed as it were.

It totally depends on the situation. If I need time to think about it, I have sent a reply to that effect.

Yes, as I would have assumed any considerate mod / site support person would. And understood and agree on the rest of your posts 'variation on a them' so to speak. Thanks for your reply!

I am not qualified to discuss Cave diving, except to say that I think all Cave divers are nut jobs. I wouldn't call any specific cave diver a nut job, that goes against the ToS, and I would be moderated. But because my opinion is that all Cave divers are nut jobs, it will likely fly.

Re above I have now bolded; now that is painting a lot of very brilliant people with a very very broad brush. Down right slanderous. ;-) But I assume you may be just taking the piss (joking)?

Rr above I bolded; now that is painting a lot of very brilliant people with a very very broad brush. Down right slanderous. ;-) But I assume you may be just taking the piss (joking)?
Urban Dictionary: whoosh

After 40+ years of diving I have no desire to be "Cave" or "Tech".

Yes plenty to be seen / enjoyed in that first 30m / 100ft or so, no doubt.

But just because you have no desire to become tech or cave trained/certed, don't be surprised that the diving part of cave or tech (no matter how much gear they choose, or have to carry) is the most important part of some peoples lives. (Some even call them 'nut jobs'. ;-)

But more power to them! Of course though, each to his or her own.

Reactions: mdb

May I suggest you reread my post again and then the definition you posted for me to peruse yourself. Don't be too speedy to hit that reply button now. ;-)

Talk about not getting 'taking the piss' ;-)

If I sent you, or any mod / site support a PM question (not just a user, but a mod/site support) off-forum and you didn't answer say within between 24 to 48 hours,
This sometimes happens when I'm on a liveaboard... so one or two weeks every other year.

Hitting the Report button generates a message in the back room where every mod sees it and can read it. The response is usually within a few minutes and we have mods all over the world, so we usually have someone who is reading the forum to see the alert. We're not going to act on every single request, but the goal is to respond either way. When a mod "claims" a case (report). they should send you a note that we are evaluating it and then another when we've come to a decision. Sometimes, those are one and the same. @diversteve reported a dupe post today and I deleted it for him. The time between the report, resolution and acknowledgement to him was like two or three minutes. Five max. It didn't require any thought or discussion and was easy enough for me to handle quickly. I was getting ready to leave, so I left the report in the wrong place, but now that I'm back, I'm going to move it into our finished folder.

Re above I have now bolded; now that is painting a lot of very brilliant people with a very very broad brush. Down right slanderous. ;-) But I assume you may be just taking the piss (joking)?
My wife is a cave diver. I am certainly taking the piss, and making a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom