Freediver missing in Eagle's Nest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup.

Pass out, lungs fill with water, person sinks.
Below 30-40FSW depending on how the diver was weighted he would have been negatively buoyant already. Pharyngeal reflex would have likely kept almost all water out of his lungs at terminal gasp. The physiology of freediving is a little counter intuitive.

What's your number? I'll call you next time I go. You can carry my tanks and scooters to the water. :)
I wish I was that strong! I can barely stagger across the beach wearing tropical gear... when are they going to make this stuff lighter!

I wish I was that strong! I can barely stagger across the beach wearing tropical gear... when are they going to make this stuff lighter!

PADI needs a new certification. We have DMs. It sounds like we need caddies.

FWIW, Judi, the woman that had the accident in 2005, made a miraculous recovery and is alive and well. I had the good fortune to get to know her on a group trip to Belize a couple of years ago.

There is a tradition in Florida about sheriffs making caves safe via large amounts of high explosives. If the authorities need to ‘take action” to keep people safe I’d rather it not be that action.

I believe that is what happened at Morrison Spring no?

I've never had a rash, joint pain or any other symptom. I lost my commercial logbook in the great flood of 2017. In that logbook, everything is tracked. Pain, rash, stupid tenders who forgot to fill the air supply compressor with fuel, even a dive to 271' on air when we lost our helium supply mid dive. Anything and everything is very specifically accounted for on a commercial logbook. Especially in the GOM. It took me 12 minutes to hook up a shackle from the crane. That was noted.

We got paid for being under pressure, DCS treatment on an oil rig paid $1/foot. I promise if I was bent, I'd get paid for it. :)

Curious. Im sure at this point you would know given the logged hours and never a hit. But when you got into commercial diving did you ever get checked for a PFO or was that sort of thing not really even a concern at the time, or better yet had the test even been developed?

That was an interesting read. If you want/need to free dive in the area, Buford Sink is tougher to get to, but it's a far, far prettier spring with all the depth you need. There's no way to get lost on the way up, either.

Curious. Im sure at this point you would know given the logged hours and never a hit. But when you got into commercial diving did you ever get checked for a PFO or was that sort of thing not really even a concern at the time, or better yet had the test even been developed?

I've never been checked for one. I'm am CERTAIN that if I had a pfo, that I'd have been bent at some point with some of the dives I've done.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom