Fresh ammo for the bp/wings debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seajay,

I liked your article for the discussion on the center of gravity versus the center of lift. With a little polish, it would be a great tool for teaching trim. However, despite being a BP and Wing owner I thought your article was blatantly bias toward a BP&W. You left out the advantages that a traditional BC has over a BP&W. For example, a new diver can put on a SeaQuest Balance, pull the shoulder, waist, and chest straps tight in 30 seconds, versus the hours that it takes to adjust a BP&Ws.

Mike

P.S. I would take the criticism as a compliment. If your article were without merit, no one would have responded!

SeaJay once bubbled...

Walter/Matt: You guys are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it's fair for you to openly debunk my article unless you can do better. Where's YOUR article addressing the basic differences between BC styles?

Interesting... I thought the very same thing when people were slamming Walter's detailed and meticulous comparison of some agency's OW requirements, yet I still don't see anyone else making an effort to do their own.

Anyone can be a critic.... review their comments and take away what you want and leave the rest on the table.

Personally, I didn't think your article was "all that". Basically everything I do now (trim & skills) in a BP/wing I was able to do in my old SQ Pro QD. However, I don't want all those "danglies" and clutter anymore.... BP is much cleaner in the frontal area...

MikeS once bubbled...
For example, a new diver can put on a SeaQuest Balance, pull the shoulder, waist, and chest straps tight in 30 seconds, versus the hours that it takes to adjust a BP&Ws.

??HOURS?? I could see maybe 5-10 minutes, but I think hours is a bit melodramatic.

wb416 once bubbled...
Anyone can be a critic.... review their comments and take away what you want and leave the rest on the table.

Exactly...if someone doesn't want to hear any of the comments, than don't post an article on the internet and then tell us all where to go find it.

If people want to discuss these kinds of issues with intelligent adults and have a true interaction of different ideas, by all means please post...if they are instead looking for sycophants to tell them how great they are...well, then please save the bandwidth for others...

You know, I wrote this huge, long reply to Walter's criticisms, but I don't think it's productive to argue them.

MikeS's right... Criticism is good. :D

And KKMatt's right... It's no big deal.

I hope that maybe the diagrams and the explanation, even if it is over-simplified (which was my aim) will help those people wondering what all the "hubub" is about.

Dude, you seem to be taking criticism of this article WAY too personally...Walter's was just an opinion. If you disagree, you disagree.

wb416 once bubbled...

??HOURS?? I could see maybe 5-10 minutes, but I think hours is a bit melodramatic.

Melodramatic, not at all. Over time, I have spent a couple of hours refining the harness on my BP. God help the person that moves a D ring on my harness.:wink:

I love gear reviews and this is just another review. Let it lie! Opinions are also good. And this is all it is, an opinion.

To state that there is only one right piece of gear is like telling me that the car I drive is all wrong. I don't even want to get into that!

Keep those opinions coming. And if there are verifiable facts to prove a point then please referenced them appropiately. Anything less is an opinion.

I'm afriad that I have to agree with SeaJay - he's obviously done his homework and his so-called 'opinion' is based on testing MANY jacket BC's - so I'd say he's 'qualified.'

Sure, the jacket BC does tend to keep one's face out of the water - good for newbies. That was the one thing I hated about my BP and wing when I converted.

However, try and mount a set of twins (with stability) on a plastic-backed BC on the market.

And, you have to ask yourself, then WHY do all the tech divers (that I know about) dive BP's? I'm talking deco divers, deep divers, Doria Divers. What do they know they others' don't?

Nice job SeaJay...

Back
Top Bottom