Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Heard About It And Want To Try It

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • Only Use The Frog Kick

Votes: 59 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm voting with Mike, which, in essence, isn't voting at all . . . alas !!! :06:

I've heard of the frog kick, and want to learn how to use it, but so far my self-instruction really hasn't worked out so well. I've watched the videos, and kind of have it a bit, but I don't move anywhere near as efficiently as with a flutter. It might be my fins, I haven't ponied up the money for a pair of jets yet. Still use my original thrusters.

Since I mostly dive reefs, it really hasn't been an issue. I like to stay about five or six feet away from the coral, and so the flutter works best for me there. I'd still like to learn to do the frog properly, so I've not only increased my abilities, but I've got something to use in the local res where vis and silt are major issues.

I hate the frog kick and refuse to use it cause I always get kicked in the head when someone else is using it. The flutter kick can be use effectively and not cause a siltout.

hnladue:
I hate the frog kick and refuse to use it cause I always get kicked in the head when someone else is using it. The flutter kick can be use effectively and not cause a siltout.

It sounds like they're not doing a very good job of frog kicking and/or you're not where you should be because I don't see whay you should get frog kicked any more than flutter kicked.

RP Diver:
I find that for anti-silting, it is at least as effective to just stay a very tiny bit bouyant and swim in a slightly head down attitude. As mentioned, it can be difficult to maintain headway into a current with a frog kick. Also hard to use when you want to cover ground, as it's not the most efficient or streamlined form.

If you're buoyant and having to swim down you are working way too hard. Be neutral, horizontal and just control your fins.

A correctly done frog kick is more efficient thean the flutter kick as generally taught. You thrust and glide. While gliding your feet are in your slip stream and prepared to load the kick again with a minimum of movement. You also don't have to use those big O2 eating theigh muscles much as with a flutter kick. you can cover plenty of ground but the flutter does have it's used for short constant bursts of thrust when you can't afford to glide.

MikeFerrara:
It sounds like they're not doing a very good job of frog kicking and/or you're not where you should be because I don't see whay you should get frog kicked any more than flutter kicked.

It's probably me. I'm always within arms reach of my buddy. If they do a frog kick, I get kicked. I don't feel the frog kick is buddy-friendly! But I don't like being too far from my buddy. Call me a leach!

hnladue:
It's probably me. I'm always within arms reach of my buddy. If they do a frog kick, I get kicked. I don't feel the frog kick is buddy-friendly! But I don't like being too far from my buddy. Call me a leach!

Sometimes I get kicked in the grill, too. I'm talking some real mask spinners, even with the buddies I dive with all the time. Its rare, but it happens.

We establish where I'll be / (s)he will be before the dive - the "formation" if you will... but sometimes we see something cool, and we kinda get out of the groove going over to check it out, etc...

* SMACK * My mask is all daffy duck - spun 90 degrees on my head. I hate that.

It happens - but its not cuz of the kick. Last night I dived in like 2 - 4 feet of viz at Redondo with ChrisM. I told him I was gonna park close on the ocean-side shoulder. Didn't get kicked once.

---
Ken

I use the flog kick a lot more since I started doing Tech dives and wreck penetration. It not prefer but I'm getting better at it. I found more I use it and better I'm getting at it the less I want to use the flutter kick.

Didnt have a problem frogging in the kelp, found it helpful in the surge both there and in FL at just sculling for position and then thrusting with the flow when the surge turned. I still contend that i have yet to be out paced on my frog by a flutter kicker around here and some folks kick kind of hard/quick, i just speed up the frog to stay with them - otherwise i try to get the glide thing going when i am just relaxing during a dive. I use it almost exclusively unless the section is kind of tight and i cant spread my feet as much as i might like, then i go modified frog or mod flutter. In fact the only time i havent really been able to get the frog to work beyond tight spaces horizontally are tight vertical bedding planes in high flow systems, then i just pull and glide as my feet would hit the ceiling with the frog. I also have found that in flow (beyond these high flow caves), in the form of ocean currents or whatever, i get no further from flutter than i would do frog and i dont even think mine is the most efficient example of that stroke!

Frog kick almost exclusivly. I don't have any problems with it in current ether.

Back
Top Bottom