Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Heard About It And Want To Try It

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • Only Use The Frog Kick

Votes: 59 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, almost always a frog kick (although the back frog kick is still a disaster). But in one situation I used flutter kick - when lately was practicing OOA. Flutter kick is simply faster so I reached my buddy much faster....
Mania

JimC:
Frog kick almost exclusivly. I don't have any problems with it in current ether.
What he said. During my Open Water although the flutter kick was taught, the instructor, DM and safety diver also taught and demonstrated frog kicks. In fact they encouraged us to practice frog kicks if we wanted, while "playing" in the pool and would offer pointers if asked. I think I only used a flutter style kick on maybe my first 4 or 5 open water dives (after my course I mean) until I got the hang of the frog kick.

Here's me on like my 4rd dive or something like that, note the fin position

Hey Leach... stay clear of the propeller zone and you won't get whack'd.

That said, I find the frog kick handy for keeping track of leaches.

I mostly use a modified flutter.

Whenever I attempt a frog kick I don't seem to move much. I know that this is a lack of instruction in frog kicking and I look forward to that instruction in the future.

In fact, I've had dive buddies that seem to move ahead with their frog kicks just as well as I do with a modified flutter. I do however seem to move a bit faster than they can with a full blown monster silting flutter. :11:

Christian

simbrooks:
I still contend that i have yet to be out paced on my frog by a flutter kicker around here and some folks kick kind of hard/quick...

Being 9 feet tall doesn't hurt your frog kick speed, either my friend... :wink:

---
Ken

Uncle Pug:

Friggen buddy, drafting off of me like some wack NASCAR driver. I hate that. I feel like I'm Restrictor Plate diving when my buddy does that - he should get his mask spun.

---
Ken

PS: someone slap me... I just dropped a NASCAR metaphor into one of my posts. Its gonna snow in LA tomorrow.

Uncle Pug:
Hey Leach... stay clear of the propeller zone and you won't get whack'd.

Oh Uncle Pug!!! :e18:

mania:
Well, almost always a frog kick

Flutter kick is simply faster so I reached my buddy much faster....
This matches my observations while using the rather long, large area, stiff US Divers original Blades.

90% of the time, just wandering along the reef, I do a small frog kick with legs extended in a streamlined position and most of the power coming from my ankles. Good for the <1kt speed for the vast majority of the dive. (This kick doesn't work for me with Jetfins, since moving just my ankles doesn't give much thrust with the much shorter Jetfins)

For more speed I'll sometimes use a more traditional frog kick with bent knees and moving my legs. Good for the approx 1kt transit speed, or even 1.5kt kick against current. (This is also the style kick I have to use for majority of the dive when wearing Jetfins.)

For a short burst of speed, nothing beats the flutter kick. Tiring, not energy efficient, but very fast.

Hyper-limits:
I use the flog kick a lot more since I started doing Tech dives and wreck penetration. It not prefer but I'm getting better at it. I found more I use it and better I'm getting at it the less I want to use the flutter kick.
So, I'm thinking that you must be hnladue's buddy since you use a FLOG kick. :D

I know this was a typo, but just couldn't help commenting about flogging those NASCAR leaches. :wink:

Christian

headhunter:
I mostly use a modified flutter.

Whenever I attempt a frog kick I don't seem to move much. I know that this is a lack of instruction in frog kicking and I look forward to that instruction in the future.

In fact, I've had dive buddies that seem to move ahead with their frog kicks just as well as I do with a modified flutter. I do however seem to move a bit faster than they can with a full blown monster silting flutter. :11:

Christian
I found that when I started to frog, I was very conscious on how I was doing. I remember the first couple times I used the technique, my hips were killing me. I stuck with it, got used to it, and now it is all I use. Whether it’s in a jersey wreck or cruising the out side, it’s all I use. I think I can move just as fast with the frog compared to the flutter. ALSO, it has helped lower my SAC rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom