From Sydney to Sorong, do my bags get checked all the way through?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Misool Resort in Nov, via Jakarta, Garuda all the way. We have a 8hr layover in Jakarta. Is Sorong so small that I will do immigration and customs in Jakarta, or will our bags get checked all the way through and we do it in Sorong? Does anyone know?

Since you're entering Indonesia and Sorong is not an international entry point, your bags should go through customs at your entry point.

With Garuda, you will pass thru customs at Jakarta. Your luggage will continue on to Sorong. I have taken Garuda from Singapore to Sorong, via Jakarta. It’s super easy transfer, Terminal 3 is inky for Garuda. Just take the moving stairs upwards and walk thru the new terminal for you domestic flight to Sorong.

Ah, speaking from personal experience and having done that exact route with Garuda, I discovered my bags did in fact get sent through to Sorong. I too went to baggage claim thinking I would have to re-check them at CGK, and when they didn't show up on the belt I was confused, thought they'd been lost, and had to go speak to the Garuda baggage desk. They went straight to Sorong. That may be a once off abnormality.

It's (generally) much like Australia. You clear immigration and customs at your international port of entry, not your final domestic destination.

With Garuda, you will pass thru customs at Jakarta. Your luggage will continue on to Sorong. I have taken Garuda from Singapore to Sorong, via Jakarta. It’s super easy transfer, Terminal 3 is inky for Garuda. Just take the moving stairs upwards and walk thru the new terminal for you domestic flight to Sorong.

How do you "clear customs" without giving them the possibility to check your bags? What if they X-Ray it and find 2 bottles of wine? Asking for a friend.

- Bill

How do you "clear customs" without giving them the possibility to check your bags? What if they X-Ray it and find 2 bottles of wine? Asking for a friend.

- Bill
I cleared customs while my luggage moved on the conveyer belt, sight unseen by a human.

I had a similar confusing experience a couple of years ago. It was emphasized that I'd have to pickup and recheck my luggage. That turned out not to be the case but finding an English speaker who had authority to confirm that my luggage was actually checked through, used up a lot of time and wasn't entirely reassuring in any event.

I finally just took a leap of faith and my luggage appeared at my destination.

This can not be counted on though. Even the US used to change the procedure on a regular basis. I have zero faith that Indonesia would consistently stick to one procedure either. :p

Last year, on a flight from Singapore-Jakarta-Sorong, My wife and I checked two dive bag (free) and a to flat boxes of solar panels. The bags were tags to Sorong and arrived safely. The solar panels were a gift to a small community in the Forgotten Islands.

The tag that the check in staff in Sydney put on your checked bag would indicate the final destination.
SYD/CGK/SOQ means the bag will go all the way to Sorong. No need to clear custom in person in Jakarta.

Back
Top Bottom