Frustrations trying to gain experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tammy, another option is to cultivate a buddy who lives in nfl. jeandiver has a less-than-helpful schedule right now thanks to working for big blue, but when i first started cave diving, she was almost always rarin' to go. so take the guys who live there up on it & see if you can gain a compatible buddy who lives there to take an element of guesswork out of your planning.

Gimme a buzz when you get in town if you're lacking buddies. I'll go diving with ya

Same here. You get in to cave country and need a buddy give me a call anytime.

Thanks guys. Might be an option. At this point, it is a "wait & see".

Ah, the new diver's lament ... been there as a new OW diver, as a new tech diver ... but not as a new cave diver.
That's sooooo true. It reminds me that my first year of diving was a very slow start. That is what I am trying to head off at the pass here.

tammy, another option is to cultivate a buddy who lives in nfl. jeandiver has a less-than-helpful schedule right now thanks to working for big blue, but when i first started cave diving, she was almost always rarin' to go. so take the guys who live there up on it & see if you can gain a compatible buddy who lives there to take an element of guesswork out of your planning.

Not a bad idea! Thanks! Just need to get down there & in time, get myself known (hopefully as an excellent & safe diver) to others.

the SO puts the kibash on the diving,... you name it.

Oh haha I see that one a lot! I am lucky in that my partner doesn't care about my diving, but seems to be a pain for a lot of my buddies...

Yea, I see a lot of the rest of the reasons too, hard for a lot of people to get away for a length of time. The people I dive with when I go cave diving tend to be single with no kids and have work flexitime. So maybe aim for those! :)

You sound like you'd make a cool buddy, I am sure it won't take long for you to meet some people :) If Florida was a bit closer I'd sign up for a trip with you!

See Tammy, you asked and we delivered. Just let us know what your plans are and we are there if possible.

Thanks guys & gals! Yes, Kevin, you are correct. At this point, I'm planning to come down sometime during the dates of Jan.7- 13th. After starting this thread, it seems that interest from some of the others here has picked up (could have something to do with snow & sub freezing temps) :D. If things don't work out with the guys up here, I just might make plans to come down anyway! Once again, thanks!

Only ONE instructor reached out to me via PM offering to take me to full cave. Two non-instructors who offered via PM to buddy with me stated that they did not want to post that in the thread, lest people jump all over them. Yes, there were a few offers in the thread as well... but I have had person after person tell me that they are AFRAID of posting their dive trips (organizational and reports) here on ScubaBoard. That makes me sick.

It makes me sad, Pete ... but it reflects a trend I've seen developing over the past few years, and on virtually every forum. Look at some of the recent and ongoing threads in the New and Basic forums ... they're loaded with judgmental statements toward people who just came here looking for information, or wanting to share their excitement about a dive they did recently.

I mentioned something like this in another thread.

As someone in a very similar situation to Tammy, I wonder if we can't do something like this on ScubaBoard. We can have some kind of a subforum for people like Tammy (and me) who are planning top come to some place like Florida and get in some cave dives without the fear of getting bashed over the head by some of the more judgmental people on the board.

As for me, I will spend all of February in Florida. Most of that time will be spent just north of Fort Lauderdale, but I hope to make a couple of short excursions into cave country. So if you can come in February, Tammy, we can do some dives together--two newbies looking out for each other. Or maybe someone else is in the same situation and would like to get together.

So if you can come in February, Tammy, we can do some dives together--two newbies looking out for each other. Or maybe someone else is in the same situation and would like to get together.

Might be doable. I have 2 weeks off in Feb. Kind far out on my radar right now, but will let you know as it gets a bit closer.

As someone in a very similar situation to Tammy, I wonder if we can't do something like this on ScubaBoard. We can have some kind of a subforum for people like Tammy (and me) who are planning top come to some place like Florida and get in some cave dives without the fear of getting bashed over the head by some of the more judgmental people on the board.
You mean like: Trips and Marketplace... Cave Diving - ScubaBoard
As for me, I will spend all of February in Florida. Most of that time will be spent just north of Fort Lauderdale, but I hope to make a couple of short excursions into cave country. So if you can come in February, Tammy, we can do some dives together--two newbies looking out for each other. Or maybe someone else is in the same situation and would like to get together.
Dude, I should be very put out if we don't splash in both salt and fresh water together while you're here!

Greetings Tammy if it is any consolation I understand and feel your pain!
I have adapted a very hands on approach to dive trips and it involves selecting fewer more serious buddies.
With this I to have learned to be very flexible and willing to roll with the punches so to speak.
There are several dive buddies I never count out till I do not see them in Lauraville!

We are heading back down Jan. 1st till the 7th.
If you are in the area and can humor a Intro caver let me know.
I just contacted Linda for the trailer and I will be there.
I missed my Nov. / Dec. trip due to work and family obligations so this one IS GOING to HAPPEN!

It is not fun to be in the frozen land of IN when Ice is coming before the end of the month!
Only at a inland quarry would a cave card not allow you to dive under the ice?
I guess that is why Florida will get my business in the winter!
Although the $3.00 a gallon will cut into the budget a little deeper we are car pooling this time. A four way split rather than a 2 way.
But like I said I am going even if I have to go by myself which will happen one day I am certain. So be it I am not worried.

Good luck Tammy and keep me posted if you want to dive.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

We are heading back down Jan. 1st till the 7th.
If you are in the area and can humor a Intro caver let me know.
I just contacted Linda for the trailer and I will be there.
I missed my Nov. / Dec. trip due to work and family obligations so this one IS GOING to HAPPEN!

Well,... I will likely be heading down as you return home. Unfortunately, I'm rather bound by my work schedule. I get lots of time off, but not always when it is convenient for others. I am off in Jan from the 7- 13, Feb. 4-17th, March 11- 24th & April 15- 28th. I also have a week off othe rmonths once every 5 weeks.

It is not fun to be in the frozen land of IN when Ice is coming before the end of the month!
Only at a inland quarry would a cave card not allow you to dive under the ice?
I guess that is why Florida will get my business in the winter!

I know what you'r saying, I'm in Western KY, on th Ohio River. Conditions are very similar. I've never tried ice diving, but am willing to try anything once. Though I will say, I do respect the differences between the overhead environment of ice & a cave. Though they have some simialrities, they also have their individiual challenges.

Good luck Tammy and keep me posted if you want to dive.

I may do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom