Full face Mask with Comm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this earlier in the gagets forum - it was suggested that I post it here.

Anyone have experiance with full face masks with communication capabilities? We have been tossing around the idea for some time - I actually think I posted this question about a year ago. We would like to experiance the novelty of it all, its all recreational - not work or any thing like that. Any feed back would be appreciated.

My buddy & I dive the AGA mask with OTS buddy phone. I wouldn't dive anything else! It is the ultimate safety gear! We even have ear pieces that attach to standard mask straps for our children so we can talk to them(they can't answer back for a change).
Its great for a young new diver to be able to get verbal feedback or just the names of the critters while they are still under water. Other advantages to full face mask: no cold water hitting your face, in case of a sezure or heart attack you still can breath, no one can kick your mask off, no snot!

The AGA mask with the OTS com system is quite nice. It goes diver to diver, diver to surface unit and the coms can either be voice activated or push to talk. Using any full face mask has some quirks---clearing the mask and clearing ears aren't as easy as with rec gear. Not a minor investment in gear to buy 2 complete setups though...

I hadn't thought about just using the ear pieces for 1-way communication---that could be handy in lots of ways.

OTS is the obvious leader in this field. You might want to PM Otter for more specifics as he works for them.

Thank you. I did a search and found my post from last year as well - the masses seemed to all point towards the OTS Comm with the AGA mask. I am glad I found that old post and still happy for posting this thread - its been nearly a year and things tend to change. I picked up a HD Sonly HC7 and an Amphibico houseing (love it) after this purchase the FFM was put off unitl this year :)

Any advice on the best site to order from ?

I get my unusual gear from either DECA in Santa Barbara ( DECA-DIVING EQUIPMENT COMPANY OF AMERICA ) or Amron International in Escondido, Ca ( Amron International, Inc. ). They both cary most of the FFM and com equip. you will be looking at.

I suggest you look at the Kirby Morgan M48 Supermask because a number of the issues of using a FFM are removed because of it's design. It is really a better "recreational" SCUBA full face mask as opposed to the AGA, and the knock-offs that look like it, that was intended as a light military/commercial mask for highly trained divers.

The Kirby Morgan has a lower internal volume, the lower part where the regulator is mounted is removable when it is being worn and it retains the 2nd stage mouth piece so you can reduce you breathing gas consumption as opposed to a "true" full face mask that have a higher volume to ventalate.

Thank you. I did a search and found my post from last year as well - the masses seemed to all point towards the OTS Comm with the AGA mask. I am glad I found that old post and still happy for posting this thread - its been nearly a year and things tend to change. I picked up a HD Sonly HC7 and an Amphibico houseing (love it) after this purchase the FFM was put off unitl this year :)

Any advice on the best site to order from ?

Now you'll need to tie communications into your camera. Take your videos out of the silent movie era. I just got an HC7 for Christmas. I'm looking at housings. Thinking of the L&M Stingray HD. Mainly because I have a Stingray now and can use my existing lights. I've had comms tied into my camera for quite some time now and it adds a lot to the video to have the audio from the communications recorded real time.

Cool!

...snip...I suggest you look at the Kirby Morgan M48 Supermask because a number of the issues of using a FFM are removed because of it's design. It is really a better "recreational" SCUBA full face mask as opposed to the AGA, and the knock-offs that look like it, that was intended as a light military/commercial mask for highly trained divers.

The Kirby Morgan has a lower internal volume, the lower part where the regulator is mounted is removable when it is being worn and it retains the 2nd stage mouth piece so you can reduce you breathing gas consumption as opposed to a "true" full face mask that have a higher volume to ventalate.

While the pod ("lower part") has some advantages, many folks complain about the lack of peripheral vision. In my case, the M-48 doesn't fit my face that comfortably. My experience is that while gas consumption does increase slightly with an FFM, the comfort of not having a mouth piece in my mouth, the ability to moisten/warm the breathing gas by breathing through my nose far outweighs the drawback -- besides, I just use a larger capacity tank to address that!

MntDiver. How do you tie in the conversations to the video? That sounds like a lot of fun !

I went with the amphibico housing since it had an external mic and I could afford it – many of the other housings with external mic’s were well beyond my price range. Along with the full face masks we will be ordering a light for the housing, this is the one I am looking at:
Amphibico | Discovery 10w HID Light | VLDL0010 | B&H Photo Video

Otter – it does appear that there might be a lack of vision at the sides. Last year I was playing with the FFM’s at the Beneath the Sea exhibit – my wife mentioned its coming back around....might be a good opportunity to try these again in person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom